Why No One Answers Your Question

Roderick_E

Have you ever posted here and no one answers your question? Well, people on MrExcel have been very helpful for the many years I've been on this site. So, just to help out, there are some typical issues that may cause people to pass over your question:

1. Question makes no sense or illogical. (ie "I want g1 to flip when g2 changes to g1")
2. Question is a project not a question. (ie "I need someone to develop 3 macros for me to do a bunch of stuff")
3. Question is jumbled because code wrapper wasn't used to show where code begins and question ends.
4. Question is missing too much information. (ie "Can I get a formula that changes color?" -- color of what? cell? text?)

I'm sure there are other reasons but these are the main reasons I pass over questions, besides not knowing the answer. I hope it helps.

Have you ever posted here and no one answers your question? Well, people on MrExcel have been very helpful for the many years I've been on this site. So, just to help out, there are some typical issues that may cause people to pass over your question:
1. Question makes no sense or illogical. (ie "I want g1 to flip when g2 changes to g1")
2. Question is a project not a question. (ie "I need someone to develop 3 macros for me to do a bunch of stuff")
3. Question is jumbled because code wrapper wasn't used to show where code begins and question ends.
4. Question is missing too much information. (ie "Can I get a formula that changes color?" -- color of what? cell? text?)
I'm sure there are other reasons but these are the main reasons I pass over questions, besides not knowing the answer. I hope it helps.
To add to Roderick's comment above...

A Generalized "Please Note"
--------------------------------------
For future questions you may ask, please do not simplify your question for us... doing so will get you a great answer to a question you do not actually have and which you do not actually care about AND it will almost always lead to you coming back for help when the solution we give you for the simplified question cannot be applied to your actual data and its layout. One thing you must keep in mind when you ask a question in a forum... the people you are asking to help you know absolutely nothing about your data, absolutely nothing about how it is laid out in the workbook, absolutely nothing about what you want done with it and absolutely nothing about how whatever it is you want done is to be presented back to you as a result... you must be very specific about describing each of these areas, in detail, and you should not assume that we will be able to "figure it out" on our own. Remember, you are asking us for help... so help us to be able to help you by providing the information we need to do so, even if that information seems "obvious" to you (remember, it is only obvious to you because of your familiarity with your data, its layout and the overall objective for it).

Last edited:
I try and avoid homework questions but they're not always obvious. I also stay away from users who forget that this forum is a free service and the people on here are doing them a favour from the goodness of their own heart; "I need this today" doesn't work for me.

WBD

Sometimes people also post projects that they would like done for them (and don't really have any intention of doing/learning themselves).
That is not really what this Free Forum is intended for. That falls under Consulting work, and it isn't reasonable to expect people here to do those type of large projects for free.

I have moved this thread to the "About This Board" forum.

There are also some threads in the "Board Announcements" forum which give some good posting tips on how to ask good questions:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/685723-help-us-help-you.html

Thanks, it does probably fit better there. I put it in the questions section because many people never read "About" pages even though they should :)

I put it in the questions section because many people never read "About" pages even though they should
That forum moves so fast, most people would probably never see it, unless they were online for that particular hour (unless people kept responding to it, though your intended audience is usually more likely to post their questions than read existing ones).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back