JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to submit a plea to activate the vBulletin attachment feature. I have used it on other forums and it works very well. I can upload an image from anywhere on my hard drive, with some limitations, and attach it to a post in several ways.

I have reviewed the threads discussing the alternatives. Several people have gone to what appears to be quite a lot of work to provide code to do what is already built into vBulletin. But to use it, I have to install an add-in, which I prefer not to do, and then learn how to use it and remember that. Or I have to upload the image to a website and post the URL here. Both of these workarounds are totally unnecessary as the capability is already right there in vBulletin.

Please, make this available to all of us so we can add snippets of our screens to available to the outstanding people who provide support here. This forum is one of the best around on any topic -- except for the attachment blind spot.

This would save everyone a ton of time and frustration.

Please see post#2 in your thread here https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about...-my-excel-2007-a-post5081839.html#post5081839

As nothing as changed, it's still valid.

It's pretty clear that nothing has changed, but I, for one, do not agree that it's valid. As was said,
There have been numerous posts over the years regarding this
So it seems like "numerous" users would like something better. And it's supported in vBulletin. All you have to do in enable it.

This one enhancement could make this forum so much easier to use. I have watched many threads where sincere helpers struggled to understand what the poster was trying to explain. This is truly a case where one picture is worth (more than) 1,000 words.

Mr. Excel is already one of the best forums on the Internet. It's a pity to have this one blemish.

I'll shut up now. You clearly are not interested in my opinion or that of the authors of those "numerous posts".

-bye

PS: One final point. I went to the Test section to see if I could figure out how to post an image. I found that the Insert Image button is not available in that section. What's that about? How can I test something that is not there? What is it with you guys and images and attachments? Were you traumatized as children by scary images or did you parents have attachment issues? ;)

I think the word numerous is a little misleading. It's a small fraction of the membership. ;)

FWIW, I personally happen to agree that having attachments would be handy on many occasions - trying to answer many of the Power BI related questions without seeing the data setup must be a nightmare - but I also understand why it's not allowed.

Pictures would rarely be the most useful type though in my experience - in fact, on most forums that allow attachments, it's a common refrain not to post pictures, but to post actual workbooks.

I think the word numerous is a little misleading. It's a small fraction of the membership. ;)

I was just quoting... :)

FWIW, I personally happen to agree that having attachments would be handy on many occasions - trying to answer many of the Power BI related questions without seeing the data setup must be a nightmare - but I also understand why it's not allowed.

And why is that? It can't be space. Disk space is essentially free these days. And on the many forums that I use that allow attachments, most limit the number and the total size. And it can't be code. vBulletin has to have that option available, because other forums using it allow attachments.

Pictures would rarely be the most useful type though in my experience - in fact, on most forums that allow attachments, it's a common refrain not to post pictures, but to post actual workbooks.

I would dispute the "rarely" part. I don't recall ever seeing anyone being told not to post pictures, but then this is the only Excel forum I use. Mr. Excel is so good, why go anywhere else? :) But workbooks would often be more useful than pictures.

On many of the science-related forums, picture attachments are useful for graphs and charts and other illustrations.

If the problem is money, I suggest setting up a way for people to donate. I'd sure be willing to contribute. This forum has saved me hours and hours of work.

What is it with you guys and images and attachments? Were you traumatized as children by scary images or did you parents have attachment issues? :wink:
You may think you are being "clever", but I particularly do not find that comment amusing. Tossing out insults rarely leads to one getting their way.

You clearly did NOT go back and look at the past discussions for the reasons for this. If you had, you would stop bringing this up (bandwidth, cost, and security are the main concerns).

If the problem is money, I suggest setting up a way for people to donate. I'd sure be willing to contribute.
That is hardly a way to run a business. The vast majority of people would not donate, so it is not something that can be counted on. Bill has worked very hard to keep this a free forum for all users to enjoy, but that is always a challenge with costs. Adding to those costs without having a definitive plan that can be quantified to cover them is a recipe for failure.

You may think you are being "clever", but I particularly do not find that comment amusing. Tossing out insults rarely leads to one getting their way.

My apologies. It was not intended as an insult, just as a joke. Sorry.

You clearly did NOT go back and look at the past discussions for the reasons for this. If you had, you would stop bringing this up (bandwidth, cost, and security are the main concerns).

The other possible explanation is that I do understand at least some of the reasons, but do not agree with them.

That is hardly a way to run a business. The vast majority of people would not donate, so it is not something that can be counted on. Bill has worked very hard to keep this a free forum for all users to enjoy, but that is always a challenge with costs. Adding to those costs without having a definitive plan that can be quantified to cover them is a recipe for failure.

If it really is a business, then it must have income. The donation model is clearly workable. I would cite Wikipedia as one major example. But many other forums accept donations. The other avenue is advertising. Personally, I don't like that model, but it clearly works. The best, in my opinion, is a hybrid system where those who care to subscribe run ad free, the rest get to see some, hopefully non-intrusive, ads. Many other forums and other ventures have made this work, so it can't be impossible, as you seem to suggest. That's one of the reasons why I made the joke about attachment issues. The resistance seems illogical.

I don't know what the security issues are, but somehow others have solved them.

Finally, I am not a big fan of the "Internet should be free" mindset. As Milton Friedman often says, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch". Nothing is free. There are always costs and someone must pay them. This forum is a valuable asset. Those who benefit from it should at least help with the costs and, personally, I think those who make it possible should be compensated for their time.

Look. I am on your side (generally). This is an excellent forum -- one of the best I have ever used. I'm just trying to make it better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back