Pasting HTMLmaker into "Test Here" differs from "Excel Question"; misleading errors

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Pasting HTMLmaker into a "Test Here" posting behaves differently from "Excel Question".

The "Test Here" paste looks wrong; and get misleading errors about too many tags.

As a consequence, I had previously concluded that HTMLmaker did not work for me.

But today, I was "brave enough" to paste HTMLmaker into my posting in "Excel Question".

Admittedly, I have not submitted it yet. But at least the advanced preview looks correct -- and different from "Test Here".

Please fix "Test Here" so tests with HTMLmaker are valid. Thanks.

I've just tried posting various (somewhat ridiculous) sets of data to the Test board & cannot replicate the problems you have encountered.
I have left the last test I tried.
One of the previous tests was the same data, but I included all formula, rather than just the first cell in each column and still didn't have any problems.

@Fluff.... I'm not surprised. I'm using IE 11. I have some other problems with the user interface that seem to be related to the browser, or so we think. But this is different. It seems to be an interaction between the browser (maybe) and whatever control each forum ("Test Here" v. "Excel Questions") exerts over the behavior of the user interface. I don't know enough about all this to speculate further.

Anyway, the fact remains: HTMLmaker works in one forum, but not in another. So at least part of the problem is an issue that could be corrected by the forum owner, IMHO. I don't think it has anything to do with HTMLmaker per se, since I'm pasting the same HTML from the clipboard. But it might have something to do with the tags used in the particular HTML.

If you or someone would like to pursue this problem, I might have a way to post the HTML text without it being interpreted (noparse?). Then you can copy-and-paste and try it yourself. Later.

Hi joeu2004, sorry to ask this but you are using the 2017 version of the HTMLmaker aren't you?

I am just asking because I have just made a posting in the test area with the same data and formulas Fluff posted using IE11 and it appears ok to me.

If you are using the latest version, can you post some raw data where you have been getting the issue so I can do another test.

Thanks.

I've also posted in the Test Here forum (thread started by Fluff) using various browsers, including IE11, and they are all producing fine output.

Yes, I downloaded the latest zip file, using a link that Fluff provided in a PM. (Thank you very much.) It contains MrExcelHTMLMaker20170807.xlam. I am using IE 11 version 11.0.9600.18837 update 11.0.48 (KB4047206). I am using Win 7 and Excel 2010 version 14.0.7015.1000 SP2 MSO (14.0.7015.1000), part of Office 2010 Home and Student.

For anyone who would like to play with this, I think you can get the raw HTML from my post #5 at https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1073273-calculate-pmt-rising-principle.html .

Even for that posting in "Excel Questions", I encounter problems when I edited that posting (within the 10min limit). At least my view of it, even after refreshing the page. I lost most of the HTML formatting (color, lines).

So in order to edit that posting, I enter Source mode, copy the raw text to Notepad, edit there, delete the text in reply window, then copy-and-paste from Notepad.

BTW, the HTML in that posting was edited. I added the SIZE=1 tag, and I deleted some ancillary lines (Excel version and worksheet name). More significantly, the HTML add-in failed to copy the yellow background that you see in I23, I35,..., I131. So I added the background-color specifier to those td tags manually(!).

However, when I did none of that when I tested HTMLmaker in the "Test Here" forum.

Thanks for your interest. I just wanted to report the problem in case there was an easy fix to be made to the characteristics of the "Test Here" forum. Obviously, there is some set-up difference between this forum and the "Excel Questions" forum.

Obviously, there is some set-up difference between this forum and the "Excel Questions" forum.

And perhaps something user-specific, be it my choice or forum-based limitations, since it seems to be working for the rest of you.

@joeu2004, any chance that you can upload the actual file you created the HTML from and I will see if I can reproduce the problem. Won't be able to look at for a while as will be at work for another 4 hours.

Download the file "pmt for increasing prin.xlsx" from https://app.box.com/s/b22mcb58ytkcv0cdm4bdojfzzwmqirvb . See the textbox for instructions and problem description.

Also see the successful(!) posting "joeu2004 HTMLmaker" in "Test Here". I don't know why that particular submission succeeded. But the results are still flawed.

Regarding the format.
If you just paste the html code into the reply window & hit Submit, it should be ok.
I've always found that if I look at the preview then the format disappears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back