Referring to another forum for help

L

Legacy 436357

Hello,

Is it okay to refer to another forum to get some help?

Thank you

Posting the same question to multiple forums is known as "Cross-Posting". Most forums (including this one), do allow it provided you follow the rules for doing so, which usually involves posting to the threads that you have also asked the question on other forums, and provide links to all of those threads.

Our policy can actually be seen in rule number 13 here: Forum Rules.

Thank you for the information. Since it is not preferred I will not 'cross post' to avoid upsetting anyone.

If you are not getting an answer here or elsewhere, and you have waited a reasonable amount of time (i.e. over 24 hours), no one is really going to be upset if you post it to another forum, as long as you do mention in both threads (on both forums) that you are doing so, and provide links to the other thread.

Trust me - I have been a Moderator on this forum for a long time. If you do that, people won't get upset. People get upset when people Cross-Post, and don't mention they are doing so and provide links. Or when people use the "Carpet Bomb" approach, and post the same question across a bunch of Excel forums all at the same time. It is generally recommend to post it to one forum, and give it some time to receive an answer before posting to other forums.

The link contained in the rule I referenced contains a real good explanation of the issue with Cross-Posting and not doing it the right way. It really just comes down to courtesy, and respecting the time and efforts of others.

By the way, on our forum, if you have not received a response in over 24 hours, you can also "bump" your own thread by replying to it yourself. This will bring it back to the top. Often times, it may be because people are not clear on the issue, so you may want to add more detail when you bump.

Here are some links that describe how to improve your chances of getting good replies:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/685723-help-us-help-you.html

Last edited:
Thank you sir I appreciate the information. I will try to figure out my problem or find another way to accomplish my goal.

Have a great day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back