Error when posting - Number of tags exceeded maximum amount

Steve1977

Hi All

Trying to post a question and I have included two tables, but for some reason I get the error message "The number of tags you tried to add exceeded the maximum number of tags by 1"

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I get the same error sometimes. It seems to help if I reduce the size of the table. But I'm not sure that's the real issue.

I notice that you posted your question 9 days ago. Disappointed that you have not yet received an authoritative explanation and work-around.

Last edited:
I get the same error sometimes. It seems to help if I reduce the size of the table. But I'm not sure that's the real issue.

I notice that you posted your question 9 days ago. Disappointed that you have not yet received an authoritative explanation and work-around.

To be honest, I did figure out the issue - or at least I think I did. Basically the tags it refers to are the ones you add followed by a comma. I did at least 5 of them (i.e. Excel, Date, Formula, VLookup, VBA Code,
...and then the error disappeared so it was to do with those tags.

Originally I thought perhaps it was something within the main body of the message but it appeared to concern the tags you add below the main message.

Not sure what you mean by ``you add`` and ``followed by a comma``. I cannot imagine how or why there would be "tags" [sic] for "Date, Formula, Vlookup, VBA code" [sic].

Could you provide specific examples, substituting words (in italics or colored to distinguish them) for special syntax that the forum applet might interpret and translate in HTML.

Also, not sure what you mean by ``I did at least 5`` and ``then the error disappeared``.

Do you mean that you did have them; i.e. they were present automatically? Or that you did add them manually?

And what did you do to cause the error to disappear? Did you delete them? Or did you modified them (how?)?

In my case, __I__ never added any syntax to the table per se.

I use the MrExcelHtmlMaker add-in, specifying "no formula" when I copy to clipboard.

I do delete the text before and after the table tags.

And I do add a size tags (size=1). I cannot remember if I get the "tags exceeded" error before or after that. But deleting the size tags does not remedy the problem, once it is reported, IIRC.

My issue concerned the number of tags you can add when creating a new thread. Underneath the emoticons is an area called 'Tags' - Separate tags using a comma. You may add 5 tag(s) to this thread.

So I simply added 5 Tags and I was able to post.
:)

Thanks. I'll have to study that. I never modify those options ("user tag list" and "tags for this thread"). So it is unclear why I get an error only sometimes.

I'm not aware of doing anything differently, other than occassionally adding more than one table. But IIRC, I get the "tags exceeded" error sometimes when I add just one table.

Typically, when I add a table, I also add code-tagged text, which I use to list the formulas. And typically, I "reply with quote", creating a user or thread tag (?). Arguably, that's 3 tags; and when I click "add/edit tags", it says I can add 2 tags "to this thread". Not sure if that means 2 additional tags or 2 tags totals.

Anyway, my point is: since I don't do anything differently (IIRC; TBD), I don't understand why I get the error only sometimes. The operative word is "differently". I'll experiment to see if that's really correct.

Thanks for your thoughts. Glad that you solved your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back