Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When copying data from Forum threads, data is pasted into only one column
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Default When copying data from Forum threads, data is pasted into only one column

The title really says it all. If I copy data from a posted table or any form of posted data and paste it into an Excel worksheet, each column of data is pasted into one column, one underneath the other, instead of into rows and columns. Any help would be appreciated.
    Practice makes perfect. I'm very far from perfect so I'm still practising.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: When copying data from Forum threads, data is pasted into only one column

Pasting options on this forum are certainly limited, except for the highly skilled users. Almost everything, especially text, is in a single box.

Go to this thread and see if you can copy to a sheet with data in different cells.

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ate-range.html

I was able to get the data to paste in separate cells on my system.
    Last edited by JLGWhiz; Sep 2nd, 2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Using Windows 10, Excel 2013.
    Any code provided by me should be tested on a copy or a mock-up of your file before applying it to your original file. Some actions generated by VBA code cannot be reversed with the undo facility in Excel. To open the VB editor, press Alt + F11. To run code from the Excel window, press Alt + F8. Please do not attempt to learn everything about VBA in one thread, especially from me. See this link for attaching images: Attachments

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Default Re: When copying data from Forum threads, data is pasted into only one column

It's frustrating if I'm trying to help another forum member. I copy the data from the post into Excel so that I can test a possible solution but it's pasted into one column. I would have to manually input all the data into the corresponding rows and columns in order to work with it. I don't know exactly when this problem started (not too long ago) but I do know that I used to be able to copy posted data from the forum and paste it into an Excel sheet without any problems. I'm wondering if there are any settings that might affect copy/paste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

out of curiosity: from which post you want to copy the table?
    I know you know but I forgot my Crystal Ball and don't know what you know

In the first post, show the type of machine (PC / Mac) and the Office version you are working on
    impossible things we do on the spot. for miracles you need to wait for a while

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The system would have to be set to remove all non printing characters (or similar) to cause that result, I would think. Have you checket your system settings lately to see how your paste parameters are set?
    Any code provided by me should be tested on a copy or a mock-up of your file before applying it to your original file. Some actions generated by VBA code cannot be reversed with the undo facility in Excel. To open the VB editor, press Alt + F11. To run code from the Excel window, press Alt + F8. Please do not attempt to learn everything about VBA in one thread, especially from me. See this link for attaching images: Attachments

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

@sandy666
    I have tried with many posts but here is the link to one: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...w-2-below.html
    I copy the posted data and when I paste it in A1 of a worksheet, it goes down the column.

@JLGWhiz
    I looked at all the settings in Excel...Options but I couldn't find anything that applied. I'm not sure what you mean by "system settings".
    Last edited by mumps; Sep 2nd, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    @sandy666
    I have tried with many posts but here is the link to one: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...w-2-below.html
    I copy the posted data and when I paste it in A1 of a worksheet, it goes down the column.

@JLGWhiz
    I looked at all the settings in Excel...Options but I couldn't find anything that applied. I'm not sure what you mean by "system settings".
    You have some settings for Internet Options>Advanced that might affect how your data is managed for copy/paste. example using codecs for HTML. But I am not a tech so I don't know exactly which ones might cause such a problem. It does sound like a setting problem more that a bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool Re: When copying data from Forum threads, data is pasted into only one column

hm, I can't reproduce your problem

In the first post, show the type of machine (PC / Mac) and the Office version you are working on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool Re: When copying data from Forum threads, data is pasted into only one column

maybe try this way:

imagine the table in the post has blank rows/columns around (yellow) and start selection from point A to point B not from start point of data

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

@JLGWhiz
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything applicable.
    @sandy666
    This is what I get:4
    Excel 2010 32 bit
    SKU
    Type
    KW1
    KW2
    KW3
    SUM
    SKU1
    Actual Sales
    SKU1
    LY Sales
    SKU1
    Forecst
    SKU2
    Actual Sales
    SKU2
    LY Sales
    SKU2
    Forecst
    SKU3
    Actual Sales
    SKU3
    LY Sales
    SKU3
    Forecst
    SKU4
    Actual Sales
    SKU4
    LY Sales
    SKU4
    Forecst
    SKU5
    Actual Sales
    SKU5
    LY Sales
    SKU5
    Forecst
    SKU6
    Actual Sales
    SKU6
    LY Sales
    SKU6
    Forecst
    SKU7
    Actual Sales
    SKU7
    LY Sales
    SKU7
    Forecst
    Sheet: Sheet1
    I tried it with Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 ad got the same result. I'm thinking it must be a setting outside of Excel but I can't figure out what that is.
    Last edited by mumps; Sep 2nd, 2019 at 02:01 PM.

Some videos you may like

User Tag List