Where do I find MrExcel Icon ??

monirg

Hello;

This maybe a trivial inquiry, but I decided to post it anyway hoping that someone might know/provide the answer with no effort!

I’d like to replace the MrExcel Forum shortcut icon on my desktop with the proper MrExcel icon. It makes the shortcut much easier to find, and it looks nice!

On the older computers (Win XP), I had simply added MrExcel forum site to Favourites, dragged it to the Desktop, and the proper icon was magically there!
But not on the new laptop (Win 7)! I get instead a cheap non-MrExcel shortcut icon!

Any suggestion ??

Thank you.

When I right click on my Win 7 desktop and click "Create Shortcut" I just create a new shortcut with this URL:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/index.php

The image comes from the webserver as it appears in the forum pages. Same thing when I create a shortcut right clicking on the web page (IE 8).

Hi xenou;

What icon do you see on your Win 7 Desktop MrExcel shortcut ??
Is it the same as (or similar to) MrExcel logo shown at the top left corner of the forum pages ??

Regards.

Yes, the same. Though somewhat faint I guess.
ξ

Hi xenou;

That’s really interesting!
So there must be something I’m doing incorrectly in creating MrExcel shortcut on the Desktop of my new computer.
Strangely enough, the icon is displayed correctly under Favourite. It is when the shortcut is dragged from the Favourite pane to the desktop that the icon changes.

When you open MrExcel URL:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/index.php
is there a feature on the site that allows you to create a shortcut ??
What I usually do is to add the website to Favourites and then drag it the desktop. It works fine in almost all cases!

As I mentioned in the OP, it’s a trivial inquiry, but thinking about it it’s really annoying!

Regards.

I'm not sure - this is really a windows thing I guess. Are you using Internet Explorer? Is that what you mean by "favorites" - favorites in IE?

xenou;
Are you using Internet Explorer? Is that what you mean by "Favorites"- favorites in IE?
Yes I’m using IE9, and yes it’s one of the tools on the IE9 Tool Bar.
A Windows issue for sure.

Juan;
Perfect!
By clicking the link you kindly provided, the IE9 displays the correct MrExcel icon.
OK. Then what ??
I guess I need to save the displayed web image as an image file (e.g. of type: .png, .bmp, .gif, .jpg, etc..) or as an icon file *.ico, so I can right-click on MrExcel shortcut and point to:
Properties::Web Document tab::Change Icon:::Browse
and select the image file.
Correct ??

Regards.

Hello;
Monir wrote in the OP:
On the older computers (Win XP, IE8), I had simply added MrExcel forum site to Favourites, dragged it to the Desktop, and the proper icon was magically there! But not on the new laptop (Win 7)! I get instead a cheap non-MrExcel shortcut icon!
1) Apparently, the above doesn’t always work in Win 7 Pro & IE9.

2) After few trial & error attempts, it appears that the most reliable (and quickest way) to create shortcut to a website is to open the website and drag the icon on the left of the address bar in the browser to the Desktop.
Have tested the above a handful times; including MrExcel Forum site, and it works perfectly!

3) Surprisingly, the above also works fine in creating shortcuts for folders, files, or programs.
Just select the item, say a folder in the WE, and drag the icon on the left side of the address bar at the top of the folder window to the Desktop.

Thank you all for your help.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back