Policy on Signatures

Re: Idiotic policy on signatures

Hi

Just to add on this subject, the other day I was also looking for the signature option and could not find it...
We newcomers are naturally curious.
Please explain the matter on the FAQ or somewhere else.

Jennifer

At this point you can add an avatar image, better than nothing... :biggrin:

Joe

That post discusses the issue of needing 50 posts to put a URL in your signature. That implies that you can have a signature before 50 posts, just not include a URL. It does not state that you cannot have a signature at all until 50 posts, which I believe is our current position.

Last edited:

Which, I think, prompts the question, why not allow new members to add a signature immediately, and then allow them to add a URL to the signature only after 50 posts ?

I appreciate there may be technical reasons why this is difficult or impossible.

I may be naive about this - do spammers have a reason to post a signature without URLs ?

I'm afraid that's just not possible Gerald. The ability to have a signature is just an on/off button type thing. Admin can't control what you type in there (or rather, not unless they develop a bespoke solution).

My understanding is that there is no automatic way of allowing a signature but disallowing a URL. We Moderators previously had to manually watch out for and remove the signatures that contained spam URLs.

Jon / Peter, thanks, I understand, I thought that might be the case. So the rule as it stands seems to make good sense.

That post discusses the issue of needing 50 posts to put a URL in your signature. That implies that you can have a signature before 50 posts, just not include a URL. It does not state that you cannot have a signature at all until 50 posts, which I believe is our current position.
Good catch Peter. I made a slight adjustment to Jon's post there. Hopefully that clarifies it a bit.

An update for all following this thread: In the Forum Rules, rule #4 has been modified to directly address the "no signature before 50 posts" issue. Post #2 in that thread has also been modified to clarify a related point.

Beautiful work and lovely detail!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back