How to close a thread

homeric

If the posts to a particular thread have answered all aspects of the original question should I close the thread to new posts? - If so how do I do this, can't figure it out - homeric :confused:

No need to. Just a simple "thanks" and a note that the problem has been solved should suffice.

One reason why there is not the ability to close threads is because many times after a question is "solved", someone will come along and post a different (and sometimes even better!) solution. Often times, there are many different ways to get an answer, and it can be interesting/educational to see the various different methods.

Thanks Joe4 that clears it up for me very nicely, and I take your points about ...different ways... and ...various different methods...
Rgds - homeric

No need to. Just a simple "thanks" and a note that the problem has been solved should suffice.

One reason why there is not the ability to close threads is because many times after a question is "solved", someone will come along and post a different (and sometimes even better!) solution. Often times, there are many different ways to get an answer, and it can be interesting/educational to see the various different methods.

I was wondering about closing my thread when i chanced upon this thread XD sure helps!

I want to mark a post I made "solved" but haven't come across it in the FAQ's or sticky notes section. If we aren't closing a post (as mentioned above), where do I find info on how to mark a post SOLVED? This should be easy to find....

See my reply:
You would just do this in a regular "Reply". Something like "Thanks! That solved my problem!"

Ooooooo :) I wonder if this could be added to the FAQ section of How To Post so that us newbies can know how to finish the cycle. I appreciate your help Joe4!

how about requesting to close a thread due to being a duplicate/issues with the topic?

If it is a duplicate of a thread that you have created then click the report button in the bottom left corner of each post and state that you have made a duplicate post and a moderator will deal with it.

If it is a thread that you have created but you have found an answer in another thread that answers your question then just reply to your thread that you have found a solution (and ideally post a link to that thread) as the moderators are unlikely to delete your thread in that circumstance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mostafagordan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back