Platform
  1. Windows
can someone else try this out for me cos its driving me nuts

firstly quit IE

open IE check your IE history for today

goto Mr Excel Messages

then visit General Excel discussion where we are now

check your IE history and see if you have an entry for livejasmin

this i believe is a adult **** site which I have never visited, I can do the same on one of my laptops and get the same result, so I either doubly unlucky to have been hit by something, however the laptop only comes out to play a few times per year

You will see lots of stuff flashing bottom left of IE.

I have scanned my main machine with various AV progs, maleware etc and nothing found, so I need someone else to verify it is not coming from Mr Excel

I think that there may be a problem at this site. It does not happen to me anywhere else.
See my posts (particularly #14) at http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610348
I am still getting that problem with IE 8 & 9 (I use Firefox at home and that is OK). Yesterday (IE8) it would go to the bottom of the page once it had loaded and later in the session I would have to click the back button twice to go back to the previous page. In IE8 I used the drop-down next to the back button and could still see that the first click would pick up the "www-uptime ....." link.

Just had the situation where I had to use the back button several times to get back to the previous page. The drop-down arrow showed both 'adserver' and the 'www.uptime' links in the list.

can someone else try this out for me cos its driving me nuts

firstly quit IE

open IE check your IE history for today

goto Mr Excel Messages

then visit General Excel discussion where we are now

check your IE history and see if you have an entry for livejasmin

this i believe is a adult **** site which I have never visited, I can do the same on one of my laptops and get the same result, so I either doubly unlucky to have been hit by something, however the laptop only comes out to play a few times per year

You will see lots of stuff flashing bottom left of IE.

I have scanned my main machine with various AV progs, maleware etc and nothing found, so I need someone else to verify it is not coming from Mr Excel

I never use IE, so I had it easy to check... I even cleared the history before checking. And no, I didn't get it.

okay I might have tracked down the problem, spent all day on it and here are my findings

finally I found that the obscure websites were being triggered by flash player, and since sometimes Mr Excel, had a flash banner this was the trigger, albeit innocent

You can do either of the following to stop it, wait for the flash banner on mr excel, or in my case I am running XP

goto control panel
double click on Flash Player, and click on button "local storage settinngs by site", here you will see the offending sites that keep popping up in your history

you can then select all and remove, and set the flash to prompt when any site wants to play flash

I have removed all and so far all is well on Mr Excel as it always has been

this even includes the jumpy screen that I have seen and others have alluded to

Give this a try, to confirm my findings, sure will save a rebuild if I have stumbled across it

I still cannot workout how livejasmin got seeded into the list, as I have never been there in my life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back