Michael M

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2013
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Ok, Obviously there was a problem with Mr Excel over the last 24hrs or so.....Unless I was the only one affected !!
Do you think Mr Excel could maybe offer an explanation / reason for this outage....It was like having one of my limbs removed !!!

Since the system is now back online though....my Security system tells me not to visit this site as it is suspcted of having malware....But when I log in my system finds nothing....:unsure:
Anybody else getting these messages.

Ok, Obviously there was a problem with Mr Excel over the last 24hrs or so.....Unless I was the only one affected !!
Do you think Mr Excel could maybe offer an explanation / reason for this outage....It was like having one of my limbs removed !!!
Yeah, I went to another site and answered a couple of questions only to find that a moderator deleted one my posts because I replied to a thread which the mod apparently "marked" as needing to be clarified. Apparently that's against the rules! If you know the answer to a question but the mod doesn't understand it don't you post an answer! I won't be visiting that site again!

Since the system is now back online though....my Security system tells me not to visit this site as it is suspcted of having malware....But when I log in my system finds nothing....:unsure:
Anybody else getting these messages.
If you do a Google search on "excel forum" and click the resulting link for MrExcel you get this:

http://www.google.com/interstitial?...&sa=U&ei=gYK1T5_ZCJOJ6gGe6ZneCA&ved=0CCkQFjAH

:eek:

My anti-virus/security software (which is not up to date) doesn't report anything.

Last edited:
@ T.valko
I am Absolutely anal retentive about my security and although i have never had an even the slightest attach or incident of malicious software from this site. from what i gather there were several reports to google about this site somehow infecting the searchers computer.

Definitely agree that the site could have posted some explanation.

and yes i was lost without this site. every search i did returned a mrexcel link and i could not look at it.....(frustrating)

So glad its back up.

My anti-virus/security software (which is not up to date) doesn't report anything.

Mine is up to date and does report a Javascript exploit. As with other Firefox users this site (was) listed as an attack site.

What the chuff is going on?

I dont know the exact reason for the downtime but it said something about maintainence. Surely this should have been done at a weekend or something when less users are online and needing answers. Weekdays are not the best are they when you are waiting for answers for work etc..

Last edited:
I don't know what the reason was either, but without knowing the full facts, I'd be willing to give Mr Excel the benefit of the doubt. If it was maintenance, then I'm guessing it was some pretty essential and urgent maintenance. I can't imagine they would have taken it down for so long, at such a busy time, without warning, unless they absolutely had to.

Google gave me yesterday the whole insecure site thing. I mean, this is the best site around, how can it be insecure?? common google

Well I'm not aware of the gory details but I understand it was fairly critical maintenance. I don't believe it was either intended to be down as long as it was down for; but I guess that's just how these things go sometimes.

Hey ho, we're back, that's all that matters, right? ;)

I sent a PM to Joe4 to pass on to the relevant personnel as soon as I got the message from Google Chrome (despite Google saying they had notified the site) so blame me.
I did have a couple of things come up in my Anti-Malware software afterwards but I can't swear it came from this site though.
As Jon says it is back up and running now so it is all good and being honest I think it is better if they do play safe and close the site when they are investigating such issues rather than take chances....good practice.

P.S. Biff, did the before mentioned moderators name begin with an A by any chance?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back