is this supposed to happen?

anno

Board Regular
i get a trip.com pop-up screen when i visit this site. if that's supposed to happen, is there any way i can turn it off?

I got it too. It's just a pop-up ad like is unfortunately everywhere else on the internet.

Just close the window when it pops up, or find a popup killer program.

thanks von pookie - i know what they are, that they are everywhere, and how to close them down but i guess what i was pointing to is the fact that they are here at all. thanks by the way for the tip on pop-up killer programs - had no idea they existed.

perhaps i should have said what i really meant. i thought i remember mr excel saying something a while back (on the old board) about not allowing pop-up screen ads because they were so annoying. has that changed, or am i mistaken in thinking he said something along those lines?
anno
This message was edited by anno on 2002-05-02 22:43

Not that I know of. The strange thing is that this pop up is from doubleclick.com, not burst.com, which is MrExcel.com's advertising company.

I'm going to tell Bill about this anyway.

You can kill pop-ups by browsing with certain anonymous browsing sites with this functionality. Safeweb (which was owned by the CIA (partially)) had this functionality, but is no longer free. I think some of the sites on the following have this functionality:

http://anonbrowse.cjb.net/
This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-03 10:32

Some other popup killers:

Edited to make the link actually work (stupid commas in urls...grr...)

_________________<font color=red>~*</font><font color=blue>Kristy</font><font color=red>*~</font>

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
WebX

This message was edited by Von Pookie on 2002-05-03 11:26

Thanks for the heads up. I am checking with Burst to see how it is that they can be serving this pop up to our readers when I have de-selected it.

thanks mrexcel. if it's any help in tracking down the glitch it only seems to do it with trip.com.

Burst did respond about 5 days later saying that "someone had incorrectly categorized the campaign as a banner and that for the first day, a few people may have received it", which is somewhat true, except the pop-ups happened for about a week....

Anyway, I have not noticed them recently. If you get one, let me know.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back