Posting Format

I'll weigh in with my opinions:

1) It never ceases to amaze me how fast answers come on this board. Even obscure things, bizarre things, someone finds an answer. I loved the comparison of Microsoft and Psychic Friends Network.

2) DreamBoat - I love the posting guidelines. They aren't rules, they aren't required, but they will help people to get help. They can be adapted a bit. If you allow me to post a variant here, I would add a detailed picture of the "New Topic" icon, since many people can't seem to find it. When I am having a serious problem, my *average time* to construct a posted question if 30 - 45 minutes. I will document the heck out of the issue, talk about what I've tried, why I think it is broken. Amazingly, in a very short time later, someone has the answer. Educating readers to post good questions will insure that they get better answers.

3) Jack - this is not a U.S.-centric board! My earliest MVP's - Ivan & Dave hail from New Zealand and Australia. The 2001/2002 crop includes Aladin from Holland. Juan Pablo from Colombia. In fact, this worldwide readership allows you to get answers in the middle of your night. Pretty much around the clock, someone is here. Back to point #1 - it is a resource that amazes me daily.

Bill

Steal away, Bill, or if you like, I'll volunteer to make it MrExcel-specific and THEN hand it over to the grand poo-bah!

:)

I doubt that the majority of people who use it are technical support staff, we are just regular excel users

Chris, I hate to argue with you (we've been a great team in the past), but I do believe that the majority of the great responses come from technically superior posters (myself not included). A lot of people choose not to mention their occupation on this site, yet, I believe, you'd be surprised who's collaborating on this site. Some of the posts are absolutely superior (as MrExcel mentioned).

Either way:

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-08 21:10

On 2002-05-08 21:08, NateO wrote:
I doubt that the majority of people who use it are technical support staff, we are just regular excel users

Chris, I hate to argue with you (we've been a great team in the past), but I do believe that the majority of the great responses come from technically superior posters (myself not included). A lot of people choose not to mention their occupation on this site, yet, I believe, you'd be surprised who's collaborating on this site. Some of the posts are absolutely superior (as MrExcel mentioned).

Either way:

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-08 21:10

you might be right Nate :)

yeah, I just thought that classifying this "medium" as yet another technical support site (whether free or not) would be doing us *all* an injustice

what we have here is much more than that

that's all my point is: nothing about technical abilities or nationalities or whatever other tangent people might want to try and take this post off on

btw, I'd put you up in the superior bracket Nate :)

bill

correct me if im wrong Dave is A GREAT FRIEND of mine has been for a long trime, myself and Ivan are friends exchangeing as we need Aladin too, these 3 guys are fine men, nothing else to say in my world i respect them.

But Dave is not MVP unless in passed few weeks????????????????????

Also let me say this i feel and i speak open that many post PM and the level of email i get is very US and US board, so i stand by my comments. NOT ONE guys is MVP in the UK, i feel whoever and care less who should show some UK should make th egarde.

My emails say why am i not MVP.. i ask you told me no, FINE end of dioscussion, i will never request this again, as in my world you never ask twice, either i am or not simple english.

Yes this board seem US related bar 3 guys you name all i class as close pals, who else onthis board can cliam to say that.

OK i cant read or spell am i or the UK vistimiesed, it sure seem that way to me..

I speak street as i was bvought up and lived, i know no different i have heavy techi posts as you say most come from this background but still i feel i am not listened or reconlised..

Gusy say posters in US are 10 or 20% my workl load why am i not part of this..

This is the answer i give arround the world.. bult sure but that me.

I am hear to help if i post i post if not you all loose out...... if im not good enough FINE

.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

your friend in th UK Jack

so waht do i not understand

techi are only good at what they know my complny id link DIRECTLY to NHS and Govenment so why as me all the question i do get answered..

im off for a cuba cigar the best in the worl

Hello Friends:

This board is a great site. The following is quoted in part from my post elsewhere on this board.

I feel the site is on an organic growth pattern -- well nurtured, well tendered but without the use of synthetic and artificial fertilizers to stimulate the growth.
The credit naturally lies in how well the bed was laid, and how the participants have continued to till and tender the soil with EXCELence, so now we have the site flowering with blooms of international flavors and colors.

We have created some thing really nice. Every creation is unique -- and so is this site. This site, I agree with Chris Davison and many others who might feel this way is unique and is unlike any other site -- by this I don't mean that we must distinguish ourselves from others for the sake of distinguishing.
So, let it grow naturally, let it grow organically, let us not force its growth with artificial fertilizers and stimulants. Natural and organic growth will be best for this site in the long run.
If there is a real need for some thing as specific as guidelines for framing a question to be posted on the site, let it surface, let us be vigilant to what the needs are out there and fulfill them -- however let us not forget in the organic growth process the fewer the rules the better.

Regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back