Proper Ettiquette

Corticus

I first of all would like to say this is a beautiful board. I'm fairly new here, but its great to see collaboration in attempt to squash Excel annonayances. But I wondered:

I noticed some specific posts received pretty rude responses, and I was wondering where I might find the proper etiquette for posting to this site so I don't offend anybody or appear to be freeloading. I'm doing my best to answer posts I can help, but I'm not an Excel expert so I don't want to send people down the wrong path.

Thanks for all the help and may information be our mana.
Corticus

True, sometimes people's emotions get the better of them when replying.

Dreamboat recently posted a Word document on "Free Tech Support Site Etiquitte," which has great guidelines. I think this will tell you what you want to know.

Of course, if it doesn't, just ask! :)

_________________<font color=red>~*</font><font color=blue>Kristy</font><font color=red>*~</font>

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
WebX

This message was edited by Von Pookie on 2002-05-06 10:37

hi

my view is simple, post as you wich and in afashion you find comfortable, of cause dont break the rules, ie sawer user &^&$^#&&#@# which get the message accross, remember kids use this site and so do guys that are utterly useless, so my / our aim is to help the best and the lower levels user just the same AS BEST WE POSS CAN and likei say i have no issues what so ever with the questions but the answers can be *$^#*!@^%&@#^%^6 or worst still. i take pride in my work and my comments.

if im blunt or rude i assure they deserved it, and your find i have battled with not the question asker but some fool whos being silly.

these nothing wrong with posting *thats rude* or no thats wrong or dont agree, its all about help.

the topic you refer to is silly in my mind as im more techi if you have seen my post they hardly make sence but the respect i have arround the world is frightening, i have fans and many emails, to all i reply. its rude to ignore

most of all be yourself, my hate campaign was funny.... put thats as in UK not me really.

ALSO if a post answer is rude say so post it up and so dont be so rude i do and will continue.

so comfort i hope, be yourself... and enjoy it..

Actually, to what I referred was a post in which the board master told the question poster that they knew the answer to their question, but would not tell them. I just want to make sure not to do whatever they did to illicit such a response. Thanks for the input! I love this board!

its how people are and i shout post he answer them apply links and feeds to other site or whatever and comments as such after.. but its up to the poster.

i would say always be as poilte as you can and post if you unsatisfied the question has been answered or if you have another method, i read as many if all posts so ill read them and thats how i learn.

Corticus:

Some *titles*, such as boardmaster, are only an indicator that the person has posted on the board 50+ times. See the FAQ for more on *titles*.

It's been my experience at many free tech support sites that:

Sometimes, we won't come right out and answer a question that we *feel certain in our hearts* is something right out of a textbook/schoolbook. Some students WILL try to have us do their work for them, when we feel it is much more important to the individual to do the work themselves, and maybe just ask for guidance.

Sometimes, the asker has been around before, has had their questions answered, and never came back to say whether it worked or not, no *thank you*, or anything. I think if this happened several times with the same asker, I might not post again.

Of course, I'm curious as to the specific post you're talking about, because you say that it doesn't state WHY they would not answer. But, by the same token, I don't think that you should point it out either.

Jack and the VP pretty much have you covered as far as YOUR behavior. And, you know what? If you see someone that you think is being rude, why not just ask? Say something like, "That seems like a rude answer to me. Can I ask why?"

I certainly would. Either that, or I would assume that there must be a history between the asker and the expert who responded.

It's a terrific community here. Stick around!

Thanks, Dreamboat. Now I've got "gooble gobble, gooble gobble, one of us, one of us..." going through my head! :LOL:

(If anyone actually understands that, I shall be pleasantly surprised, as after saying that to one of my friends, she commented that I must "be on crack"...which I am not :biggrin: )

we seem to be sticking to words like expert no one is an expert, just good solid knowlwdge in fields they are goos at this generall comes from exposure.

i say this anyone who honestly beleives they can solve techi issues on a message boad is a fool, solve a few solve many yes, buts it almost impossible as the post says abc and its nothing like it, to me thats the fun.

I have had much abuse and really hostil emails and threats, im a simple guy who has seen the street, and i use the word polite

remeber this and the boards your do as you wish, ask and help.. thats the game.. mislead is a bit silly.

i feel the question, and so offer much advice over millions of issues all i post i know and they work HANDS ON but on the board if i get 5 10% im a good man, i get massis of emails, and encourage them, as late virus i add. Again guys send them to me saying hes one Jack, i always re[lt its -polite-

I have had massice of fights on this board. but sometimes ive all but chucket it in, but still hear, ill do more and more as i can

most of all be your self.. and enjoy it....

there are no rules....

Qualifier:

I use the word *expert* above only to differentiate between the person asking the question (asker) and the person answering the question (expert), for lack of a better word or phrase.

:)

Thanks for pointing that out, Jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back