MrExcel and MVP please read

And welcome y'all (excuse my broken English) to one of the [many] beauties of this board. We're an international community. While I could ask someone to brush up on their Cantonese, why bother, let's communicate, XL style.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-08 20:54

On 2002-05-08 20:52, NateO wrote:
And welcome y'all (excuse my broken English) to one of the [many] beauties of this board. We're an international community. While I could ask someone to brush up on their Cantonese, why bother, let's communicate, XL style.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-08 20:54

Since this board is for English messages, your comment about brushing up on Cantonese is entirely irrelevant.

By the way, Cantonese is not a written language. It is a Chinese spoken dialect.

Ah Fong,

Nitpicking a bit aren't we? Who cares? As it's been said many times this is a board where posters can ask questions, comment and answer questions about EXCEL! It's not a grammar test or a place where you need to slate others in the way they express themselves.

Regards,
Dan

On 2002-05-09 04:32, dk wrote:
Ah Fong,

Nitpicking a bit aren't we? Who cares? As it's been said many times this is a board where posters can ask questions, comment and answer questions about EXCEL! It's not a grammar test or a place where you need to slate others in the way they express themselves.

Regards,
Dan

Nitpicking? I don’t think so – at least no more than anyone else in this thread.
Who cares? I do.

I was not aware that I had “slated” anyone.

My interpretation of this thread has nothing to do with a grammar test.
It is to do with communicating messages in an understandable way.

Whilst fully appreciating that written communication skills can be extremely variable, I really can’t believe that anyone would think that improving such skills is not a desirable aim.

I can’t understand why a number of posters have jumped all over waderw and Fdrl.
I think their comments were reasonable and polite, and amounted to good advice.

Why is it that their posts elicited such defensive and animated responses?

The only poster who does not appear upset is Jack-In-The-UK. Good on him!!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....by no means was i putting Jack down or disrespecting him. I was just simply stating that at times it is hard to read his replies. I am not doubting his intelligence or responses. I would just like to be able to understand them more for my own education as well as maybe others. I applaud his efforts and time that he takes to try and help others. It is greatly appreciated. Jack, please accept my appologies if I have offended you in any way.

Regards to all.

On 2002-05-09 06:43, waderw wrote:
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....by no means was i putting Jack down or disrespecting him. I was just simply stating that at times it is hard to read his replies. I am not doubting his intelligence or responses. I would just like to be able to understand them more for my own education as well as maybe others. I applaud his efforts and time that he takes to try and help others. It is greatly appreciated. Jack, please accept my appologies if I have offended you in any way.

Regards to all.

Well said, waderw.

I for one (and Jack-In-The-Uk, I think) noticed nothing offensive in your original post.

By the way, Cantonese is not a written language. It is a Chinese spoken dialect

This is a good point Ah. That's why my old roommate, from Taiwan, who spoke Mandarin could read and write with those of Cantonese lineage, but had difficulty conversing. I forget these details at one in the morning.

My point is this (making it relevant, albeit subtle): It's very difficult for people to speak fluently outside of their native tongue (to ask that of someone is easier said than done), we as an international community should be cognizant of such. Take myself for example, I'm trying to work on my ebonics, and whilst I can lay 'em down an' smack 'em yack 'em, it proves to be a challenge.

Can you dig?

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-09 09:20

Um...James? That site doesn't seem to be anything but search links...nothing specifically "ebonics" about it other than the name as far as I can see.
shrug.gif

_________________<font color=red>~*</font><font color=blue>Kristy</font><font color=red>*~</font>

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
WebX

This message was edited by Von Pookie on 2002-05-09 10:53

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back