? For MrExcel, Juan Pablo G.

On 2002-04-02 03:49, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
The person who posted the problem is the ultimate judge of whether the problem is solved or not; they try the various solutions provded and either they work or they don't. A button provided for the initiator of a thread can be clicked to put a "solved" flag on it.

Don't understand that "[t]he person who posted the problem is the ultimate judge" bit.

I posted a solution a while ago. The OP was happy and said so. The problem is solved. I saw some time later someone else, say X, had posted a crisp, effective solution. I had to chase after the OP to urge him to use X's effective solution. A Solved flag would probably stopped X to consider the OP's problem at all.

The "they [OP's] try the various solutions provded and either they work or they don't" bit also amazes me. This confounds the trouble in implementing a working solution and a solution which is bound not to work for intrinsic reasons.

Aladin

What about an opposite approach; instead of declaring "Solved" having the possibility to declare: "I am not satisfied yet".

This would not prevent anybody to try better solutions for any question even if the author seems to be satisfied. But it would bring focus on problems that did not meet satisfactory solution according to the person who posted them.

A new reply to the post would turn off that indicator.

Eli
This message was edited by eliW on 2002-04-02 07:02

Only slightly related, what would save me a lot of hassle would be if the sql that draws the list also references the active user, so that you get an icon beside topics that you have taken part in.

This way, when you go away for a couple of days and then return, you can scan though 10 or 20 pages and quickly find the items you have played a part in, in order to offer follow up more effectively without having to bookmark every topic you contribute to.

As a TSQL/ASP programmer myself, i know this is possible, wouldn't even need layout change, just font or backgound colour change maybe.

I agree with Aladin that just because te OP is satisfied with a response, and if the matter is closed at that point, it would stop other discussions, alternate approaches, shorter/faster/better solutions from coming in. After all, we are all learning and we are being enriched whether we ask a question or we post a response.
I believe the openness of the board is very important. I am sure as we gain more experience with the use of the board, a continuing dialog on this will bring up meaningful resolution to this and other issues.

Regards!
Yogi Anand

I think this is a cool idea. There doesn't seem to be a phpbb hack to do it. If anyone has php MySQL knowledge and can volunteer to write the code, I'll be happy to incorporate it.

On 2002-04-13 20:51, daleyman wrote:
Only slightly related, what would save me a lot of hassle would be if the sql that draws the list also references the active user, so that you get an icon beside topics that you have taken part in.

This way, when you go away for a couple of days and then return, you can scan though 10 or 20 pages and quickly find the items you have played a part in, in order to offer follow up more effectively without having to bookmark every topic you contribute to.

As a TSQL/ASP programmer myself, i know this is possible, wouldn't even need layout change, just font or backgound colour change maybe.

Just on the main topic , if someone wants to post up solved then it does make it easier it doesn't mean ppl won't try another solution and post it, if the op wants to be notified of any changes before and after a solve they just need to click the notify by email chkbx and they will be notified of an update to their problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back