? For MrExcel, Juan Pablo G.

DRJ

MrExcel MVP
Hi

I would like to say that I like the new format of this forumn. I have a suggestion. Is there any way to allow the users to sort the posts by number of replies. I for example like to reply to messages that have not had an answer yet to see if I can help someone that everyone else passed over. It would be nice if you could click on the heading for reply, topic, poster, date etc. and sort the topics by that field.

Thanks

DRJ

I know. Me too. (BTW I'm moving this thread to the "Welcome to the Board" forum). The thing is, PHPBB is an open source forum, but, it's an ordinary programing language, that means, you have to learn it before you change it... give us some time. I think it shouldn't be that hard, because the same "utility" exists in the "Memberlist" page.

Another option (probably more complicated), may be for a refresh button that the poster can hit in the edit post section; so that the post is sent to the front of the listing.
Not much use for the anon posters though.

Hi MrExcel and Juan.

First, I would thank you for this site give me a lot of information.
I have a suggestion too. However, my proposal needs change of the layout of your web site a little.
I think it is convenient, if I will be able to make sure each topic is solved or not, before I click each of them.

How about displaying an icon or a mark beside each topic like following?

<TABLE BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="1" CELLSPACING="1" WIDTH="100%">
<TR BGCOLOR="#99FFFF" ALIGN="LEFT">
<TD WIDTH=2%> </TD>
<TD><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2"> Topic</font></TD>
<TD WIDTH=9% ALIGN="CENTER"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">Replies</font></TD>
<TD WIDTH=20% ALIGN="CENTER"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2"> Poster</font></TD>
<TD WIDTH=8% ALIGN="CENTER"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">Views</font></TD>
<TD WIDTH=15% ALIGN="CENTER"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">Date</font></TD>
<TD WIDTH=15% ALIGN="CENTER"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">Info</font></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD BGCOLOR="#99FFFF">
red_folder.gif
</TD>
<TD BGCOLOR="#CCFFFF"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2"> <a href=#>New Question</a></font></TD>
<TD BGCOLOR="#99FFFF" ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="MIDDLE"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">8</font></TD>
<TD BGCOLOR="#CCFFFF" ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="MIDDLE"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">HHH</font></TD>
<TD BGCOLOR="#99FFFF" ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="MIDDLE"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="2">100</font></TD>
<TD BGCOLOR="#CCFFFF" ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="MIDDLE"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="1">2002-03-21 21:30
by The Rock</font></TD>
<TD BGCOLOR="#CCFFFF" ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="MIDDLE"><font face="Arial, Times, Tahoma" size="1">2002-03-31 12:00
Solved</font></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

Who is going to decide that a given problem is solved -- The OP or a moderator?

Both might err for different reasons and it's unlikely afterwards that anyone will take up the problem which is Solved, hindering continuations, different approaches, etc.

Aladin

Thanks guys...I think the idea is good..
I usually go looking for the ones not answered.....Aladin I understand where your
coming from but as long as we can get the ones with NO ANSwers at least an answer then
I'm sure that they will return....
Nothings worse then having the impression of
been missed/ignored....

The idea of seeing which problems are "solved" is nifty - here are two ideas.

1. The person who posted the problem is the ultimate judge of whether the problem is solved or not; they try the various solutions provded and either they work or they don't. A button provided for the initiator of a thread can be clicked to put a "solved" flag on it.

2. Invite users to post a "thanks, this worked" type of message at the point where they feel their problem has been solved. We've all seen people repost to offer clarification or to say "nope, that's not quite it" - all we say now is, "hey user, when you're happy, say so," and then at least we can read and see which solutions worked for which problems.

On 2002-02-27 08:51, DRJ wrote:
Hi

I would like to say that I like the new format of this forumn. I have a suggestion. Is there any way to allow the users to sort the posts by number of replies. I for example like to reply to messages that have not had an answer yet to see if I can help someone that everyone else passed over. It would be nice if you could click on the heading for reply, topic, poster, date etc. and sort the topics by that field.

Thanks

DRJ
http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewforum.php?forum=9&start=20

The person who posted the problem is the ultimate judge of whether the problem is solved or not; they try the various solutions provded and either they work or they don't. A button provided for the initiator of a thread can be clicked to put a "solved" flag on it.

Don't understand that "[t]he person who posted the problem is the ultimate judge" bit.

I posted a solution a while ago. The OP was happy and said so. The problem is solved. I saw some time later someone else, say X, had posted a crisp, effective solution. I had to chase after the OP to urge him to use X's effective solution. A Solved flag would probably stopped X to consider the OP's problem at all.

The "they [OP's] try the various solutions provded and either they work or they don't" bit also amazes me. This confounds the trouble in implementing a working solution and a solution which is bound not to work for intrinsic reasons.

Aladin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back