A question for Bill Jelen

still learning

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I'm sorry that this is in the wrong Forum, BUT i don't know where to post it. I hope the right person sees it and moves it or responds to it.

I'm wondering what is
HTML:
....userid, e-mail address, and the encrypted password in the form of hash+salt.
AND

HTML:
 ...encourage you to take other steps appropriate to protect this online account.

mike

Where did you see this, and what was it in connection with?

Ford

I think the OP might have seen it here.

It was also in an email sent out 1 hour 40 mins ago.

Here is the E-mail..there is also a link in the heading to change passwords and e-mail address

still learning,
1) What happened?
This is Bill Jelen from MrExcel.com. On the morning of December 6, 2016, our moderators detected a hack in progress at the MrExcel forum. We quickly acted to shut the forum down, removed the user, and restored from the previous day’s backup. At the time, we had no reason to believe that the hack had compromised any user data. However, on or about January 8, 2017, we became aware of evidence suggesting that some user information had been acquired in the December 5 hack and had been posted online.
2) What Information Was Involved?
The hacker accessed and posted userid, e-mail address, and the encrypted password in the form of hash+salt. A hacker with a fast computer can test a billion passwords an hour and stands a 25% chance of breaking the password. The hacker also accessed and posted information from administrative fields showing your last login, number of posts and similar non-personally identifiable information. If you had an account at the MrExcel Message Board on or before December 6, 2016, you are affected.
3) What We Are Doing?
We previously scanned for malicious code and restored from a backup to remove any lingering effects from the hack. Additionally, we continue to update and patch the website software from vBulletin and we are converting the website to use a Secure Socket Layer.
4) What Can You Do?
We are requiring all members to promptly change your MrExcel password at http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/<wbr>profile.php?do=editprofile and encourage you to take other steps appropriate to protect this online account. We also encourage you to change your password and take steps to protect any other online accounts where you have used the same password with your username or email address for MrExcel.com. You are are further encouraged to maintain different passwords for MrExcel.com and for any other online account that connects to the same email address or password.
During the investigation of this incident, you can search also for your e-mail address at Find the source of your leaks to find a list of data breaches involving your e-mail address.
5) For More Information
Contact Bill Jelen pub@MrExcel.com
Date of Notice: January 14, 2017.

Every time today I log on to Mr. Excel I see a message in the Header saying we have had a security breach please change your Password. The same thing happened on this forum about 3 weeks ago.
Where did you see this, and what was it in connection with?

I'm not going anywhere near that suggested site.

Thanks, There is always so much advertising "junk" up there, that I seldom bother to pay it any attention :(

The latest email/message still appears to be related to the earlier breach, its just that its now become more apparent that some user data may have been extracted. I've just followed the instructions and changed my password, although I used the functionality directly on this site rather than the email links.
Also if anyone uses the same email address/password combination on other sites (not recommended), it would be worth changing passwords on those sites too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back