Multivariate Normal Distribution in Excel

reasonfa

Hey,

I have a portfolio of 20 stocks over a time period of 15 years. I calculated the mean returns and the covariance matrix. Now I want to perform a Monte Carlo simulation based on a multivariate normal distribution with the same parameters. I downloaded the “real statistics resource pack” for excel to actually generate these randomly generated returns for the 20 stocks over the time period. Based on the newly generated returns I again calculate the mean returns and the covariance matrix.

The problem is:
The covariance matrix based on the random sample has a lot of minus values compared to the original covariance matrix where there is not one minus value. Moreover, the new covariance matrix is way smaller than the original covariance matrix.

Is that normal? Because my efficient frontier optimization would not plot almost in the same area of the original sample. The standard deviation is too small.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I downloaded the "real statistics resource pack" for excel to actually generate these randomly generated returns for the 20 stocks over the time period. Based on the newly generated returns I again calculate the mean returns and the covariance matrix. The problem is: The covariance matrix based on the random sample has a lot of minus values compared to the original covariance matrix where there is not one minus value. Moreover, the new covariance matrix is way smaller than the original covariance matrix. Is that normal?

IMHO, you would have to direct your question to real-statistics.com, who provided the add-on that you are using. This is a question about their add-on, not about your Excel usage.

That aside, I'm very interested in the work that you are doing. If you would not mind sharing, please upload an Excel file -- probably one without the real-statistics add-on -- to a file-sharing website, and post a pubic/shared link to it in a response here. I'd like to take a look at it, for my own edification.

As to your question about the results.... In my experience, yes, Monte Carlo sims can yield wildly different results compared to historical data, especially if you are looking at a sim of only one timeline. I don't know anything about what the real-statisics add-on is doing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back