Can't exit design mode because Control "C60' can not be created

widmane

Hello,
BACKGROUND: I wrote an excel workbook that allows users to enter/maintain personnel data. It gets updated daily at 5 different work locations. The locations use the file to manage their specific personnel. It generates an attendance sheet and also a work summary sheet. They basically take the file for yesterday, make updates and save it for the new day. It serves as a plan for tomorrow and a record of yesterday. Personnel can be added/deleted and trucks change locations so the list is dynamic. We also have clerks that access the file to take care of the attendance sheet. They save the file as well. The excel files are saved on a network location in different files.

The work entry page utilizes about 100 activex combo boxes to select individuals and their vehicles to fill in the daily work summary sheet. The comboboxes listfillrange refers to a separate hidden page that has personnel names and trucks that are forced into alphabetical/numerical order by formulas.

I chose activex comboboxes because the list rows can be bigger (45 personnel), and the linked call allows the users to easily make wholesale changes to the schedule and makes the data entry very user friendly...auto complete and on and on.

PROBLEM: What is specifically happening...I save the file to the network location. A clerk accesses the file, make some changes and saves those changes. I go back in and access the file to make a file for the next day and it works fine. I save it, close it and we are all set. If I have to access the file again, I get "Can't exit design mode because Control "C60' can not be created" and the comboboxes have all been renamed. C60 is the name of one of the comboboxes. The clerk that was in the file earlier can access it and it works fine...no error message and comboboxes not renamed.

It affects some users and not others. I have renamed all of the comboboxes to unique names. All the other controls in the workbook are form controls. I have made sure all are saving as .xlsm. I have checked the trust center and observed what the users do when they access and save the file. Nothing of note. I have tried deleting the tmp files from the december 2014 issue that affected activex. At a loss.

Trying to roll this out on a large scale but won't until I get this glitch fixed. I need multiple users to have access and I really want to keep the activex comboboxes. I can do one time fixes, but can't sustain going back day after day to do that. HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
To the default excel combobox name. (ex. ComboBox123). One occasion it was ComboBox1. Another time it was ComboBox327. I had read somewhere that you should always come up with your own names for ComboBoxes...never use the excel default. So, I changed the names to the coincide with the cell the box was over. C12, C13, E15 etc. Didn't help. When I click on a combobox, view it's code, the drop down of all available comboboxes lists a bunch of new ones in the default format and none of the ones I named are listed.

Upvote 0
How exactly are you changing the name?
BTW, the only reason I know of to change the default name is to make it more recognisable to yourself. I haven't seen any technical issues with keeping the default name.

Upvote 0
How exactly are you changing the name?
BTW, the only reason I know of to change the default name is to make it more recognisable to yourself. I haven't seen any technical issues with keeping the default name.

I changed it in each ComboBox Properties menu. That didn't fix the problem, but it did help me distinguish a ComboBox that I renamed vs on that excel used the default on.

Upvote 0
0down vote​
There is a very simple fix for this issue:

1. Close all Excel documents
  2. Open a blank document
  3. Excel options > Trust center settings>macro settings>Select{Disable all macros with notifications}
  4. Active X settings >
    Select either:
    • Disable all controls without notifications
    • Prompt me before enabling all controls with minimal restrictions
Apply all settings and close.
Open the affected file and check allow the prompt to enable macros if required.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
0down vote​
There is a very simple fix for this issue:

1. Close all Excel documents
  2. Open a blank document
  3. Excel options > Trust center settings>macro settings>Select{Disable all macros with notifications}
  4. Active X settings >
    Select either:
    • Disable all controls without notifications
    • Prompt me before enabling all controls with minimal restrictions
Apply all settings and close.
Open the affected file and check allow the prompt to enable macros if required.

<tbody>
</tbody>
So I tried this. The macro settings choices are all greyed out with the selection being "Enable all macros." The activeX settings was already on "Prompt me before enabling all controls with minimal restrictions." Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back