Yahoo Finance API for Stock Quotes Changed

jonathanwang003

Board Regular
Hello world,

Yahoo Finance has changed their API today without any information on how we can update. The new URL uses Unix Timecoding for dates.

Here's a sample URL for the S&P500. If you copy this and paste it into your browser, it will open the CSV with historical quotes.

https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/download/^GSPC?period1=1459468800&period2=1494028800&interval=1d&events=history&crumb=yt6hjEL5Tx8

How I've modified this with VBA is using the Qurl below. I just need 3 variables (Symbol, StartDate, and EndDate) I replaced the old Qurl which stopped working today with this Qurl code but I keep getting an error on the second to last line where it refreshes the BackgroundQuery.

What the code does is constructs the URL, opens it and puts its data into the current workbook on a specific tab and cell.

Code:
Qurl = "https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/download/" & Symbol
    Qurl = Qurl & "?period1=" & (StartDate - DateSerial(1970, 1, 1)) * 86400 _
        & "&period2=" & (EndDate - DateSerial(1970, 1, 1)) * 86400 & "&interval=1d&events=history&crumb=yt6hjEL5Tx8"

With HistoricalPrices.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="URL;" & Qurl, Destination:=PasteDest)
        .BackgroundQuery = False
        .TablesOnlyFromHTML = True
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
        .SaveData = True

End With

I've tested the URL above, I've ensured it matches what the code generates, I just don't know why it gives me an error.

Last edited:
This would be super. I can't stand Google Sheets!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hello world,

Yahoo Finance has changed their API today without any information on how we can update. The new URL uses Unix Timecoding for dates.

Here's a sample URL for the S&P500. If you copy this and paste it into your browser, it will open the CSV with historical quotes.

I know this post is not new, but I have the same question with a twist. There are many websites selling, "end of day data" in CSV format for stocks. I would be happy to post several of them here for those still looking for CSV historical data.

However, I would like to know if I were to buy a years worth of end of day data for all stocks can this replace =STOCKHISTORY? Meaning once I have the CSV file and import it into Excel how would I save it to be used as a database to then use the formula functions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back