Transparent Drop Down Boxes/Other Solutions

Disarmonious

Board Regular
Hello,

I want cell C26 to display what is being selected from a Drop Down box with 10 available selections. The problem I'm running into is that the box that attaches to the drop down arrow overlaps the cell that I want displayed from what is being selected. I've resized the Drop Down box for it to only display the arrow, but when I do that, I'm not able to see the Text from what is being selected, instead, I'm seeing the first letter of each available selection (100% magnetfication).

I would love to know if there's a way that a cell can become the selection box without it even displaying the options unless that specified cell is selected? So essentially "hiding" that this cell is an actual DD box until it is selected. This isn't an ActiveX DD box...

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You could use Data Validation of List type with the In-cell dropdown option checked.

The dropdown
Code:
arrow will only appear when the cell is selected.

Upvote 0
Hello Jerry,

I like the Data Validation - List Type suggestion. I've created my list: A21=PTO, A22=VTO, A23=FH, etc. I've also created the List in Validation Data in cell A1, but when I test the drop down within this cell, I don't see the actual text that represents the cell numbers (only cell numbers display in the list). I tried using the =INDEX function (=INDEX(A22:A25,) and I get an error message. If the INDEX function is the correct one to use, what comes after the comma? I'm stumped, and this is probably an easy fix or there's an easy work-around...

Upvote 0
Jerry,

I found the issue, it was an easy fix. I do have one more question, is there a way to edit the drop down arrow? In addition, is there a way to enable the drop down list to display if the user selects any part of the cell? Thanks again for your time and help.

Upvote 0
I'm not aware of any way to edit the drop down arrow or have the drop down list display without clicking the arrow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back