Can somebody breakdown what these functions are doing?

Declamatory

I understand what this formula does in that it works like a VLOOKUP without the array. But I don't understand what each of the functions are doing and how it works.

I've used this formula in a number of my workbooks but don't like not understanding.

If somebody could explain it to me I would be grateful.

Thanks

Code:
=INDEX(Citi!$G$2:$G$30,SUMPRODUCT((Citi!$K$2:$K$30=J19)*ROW(Citi!$K$2:$K$30))-1)

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
firstly I suggest going to Formulas on the ribbon then to Evaluate Formula and step through it.

So INDEX works by giving an array then telling it how many rows to go down/columns to go across. In this case we have the Area G2:G30. The SUMPRODUCT looks at each cell in column K and sees if it is equal to J19. if it is it is TRUE, if not FALSE. Important to note that TRUE/FALSE numerical values are 1/0 respectively. so then it multiplies the True/False by the row number.

Example. If K9 did equal J19 then it would be TRUE*9 (the row number) or alternatively 1*9. This would give 9

Then your formula has -1 so it would give 8. It would then give the value of G9.

Upvote 0
Its not a formula I would use personally. It could give incorrect results should J19 appear in K2:K30 more than once. I suppose it depends if that's possible.

Upvote 0
Example. If K9 did equal J19 then it would be TRUE*9 (the row number) or alternatively 1*9. This would give 9

Then your formula has -1 so it would give 8. It would then give the value of G9.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I've got it apart from the -1 bit if it gives 8 how does it bring through the value in G9?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back