Why does IF and OR combined not work

basb87

Hello all,

I have a question regarding a combination of IF + OR.

Here is what I want:
Code:
=IF(A1=OR("A","B"),1,2)
Why does this not work? I mean, the formula should be logically correct, right?

I know that it will work if I do it like this:
Code:
=IF(OR(A1="A",A1="B"),1,2)
But the problem is that this is longer. I have simplified this formula here, because my real formula is much much longer and I have a lot of formulas to get to the value that I want to use for my IF-statement.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Bas

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
maybe there would be a more concise formula or use of VBA, care to demonstrate some real world logic

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your formula:

=IF(A1=OR("A","B"),1,2)

is not syntactically correct. The OR function requires logical statements, hence this:

I think what Mole is suggesting is that you give us an idea of your real scenario so that we can better advise - why so many OR statements and what is this long, complex formula? More pertinently, what exactly are you trying to get Excel to do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

=IF(OR(A1={"A","B"}),1,2)

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,{"A","B"},0)),1,2)

=2-ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,{"A","B"},0))

are equivalent and are all syntactically admissible, while

=IF(A1=OR("A","B"),1,2)

is not.

OR expects one or more evaluations that end up in logical results:

The OR("A","B") does not evaluate to either TRUE or FALSE. Text values do not have logical evaluation, while numbers on the other hand do.

=OR(1)
=OR(-0.2)

will evaluate to TRUE while

=OR(0)

will evaluate to FALSE. Put otherwise a non-zero number >> TRUE in AND, OR, IF, etc,, a zero to FALSE.

Upvote 0
It seems to me the easiest way to deal with this would be to simply make a list of all your "OR" possibilities (say on Sheet 2) and then just use a simple formula.

Let's say you have a list of 25 things you're checking for, and it resides on Sheet2 in A2:A26 (under a header in A1).

And let's say the list you're trying to check against your "OR" possibilities is on Sheet1 in A2:A100 (under a header in A1).

Then column B in Sheet1 (starting at B2) could be:

=NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$26,0)))

All "TRUE" (or 1) listings would be a match against your "OR" list on Sheet2.

Upvote 0
basb87, there are lots of great suggestions on this site. In this particular instance, I do believe the suggestion I made is going to leave you the most flexibility and room for growth. If you didn't understand clearly how to set it up, I'll be happy to explain in a different way, starting from where you started to get lost.

Upvote 0
basb87, there are lots of great suggestions on this site. In this particular instance, I do believe the suggestion I made is going to leave you the most flexibility and room for growth. If you didn't understand clearly how to set it up, I'll be happy to explain in a different way, starting from where you started to get lost.

Why?

ISNUMBER(MATCH(...))

would be better than

NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(...)))

Upvote 0
No debate there, Aladin. I'm talking about its being more flexible to create a dedicated list of possible matches and then just use one formula to check entries against the list, rather than a million embedded IF statements.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back