Automatically and Periodically Loading Data into Excel

agfor3

Hi All,

As a side project, I am working on creating a stock index comprised of 25 or so stocks and tracking their change.

To set this up, I loaded the closing prices of the stocks for the past 6 months, and weighted each of the stocks a certain way (ex. .1, .015, .2 of the entire index) based off of market share. Then, I multiplied the weight by the stock price and added them up to find the index price. I applied the formula for all the trading days and graphed the index.

What I want to do now is automate the process so that I can load the closing prices for each stock for trading days (not every day, because no trading on weekends or holidays) automatically into the spreadsheet so that each day, it calculates the index price by itself based off the previous close.

Does anyone know how I would go about this?

In terms of getting the data, there is a way to export as csv from Yahoo Finance using =NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s= [Ticker Symbol] &f= [Data Type]").
(but I don't know how to automate).

If anyone can help guide me, I would really appreciate it.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
This is a procedure that will download a price from yahoo finance
In this version I load the ticker symbol into BP5 (you can change that to any range you want) and the price and dividend info is returned in BQ5

code
GetThePrice: '==================================

If Range("BP5") = "VIX" Then Range("BP5") = "^VIX"
If Range("BP5") = "YAFFX" Then Range("BP5") = "YAFIX"

qurl = "http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" + Range("BP5") ' bp5 is the id of the fund to price

qurl = qurl + "&f=" + "l1r1d" ' "nd1l1" ' get price only

Range("BQ5") = ""
Set DataSheet = ActiveSheet
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="URL;" & qurl, Destination:=Range("BQ5"))
.BackgroundQuery = True
' .TablesOnlyFromHTML = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
.SaveData = True
End With

'Range("D7").CurrentRegion.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("D10"), DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, other:=False
Range("BM9") = ""
Range("BN9") = ""
Range("BO9") = ""

Range("BQ5").TextToColumns Destination:=Range("BM9"), DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, other:=False

Return
/code

Upvote 0
Sorry about the sloppy indentation on the code - I'm new to posting on this forum so I'm not quite up on the tools.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back