Using VLOOKUP to sum/average/combine multiple results

ossuary

Greetings, fellow Excel users. I'm hoping one of you kind people can give me a hand with what I assume is a relatively simple problem, but one I haven't yet been able to crack on my own. I'm trying to use a VLOOKUP function to populate paid time off hours for my employees into a spreadsheet based on reports that I feed into Excel. The problem I am having is when there is more than one result per employee ID. I need a way to get Excel to add up the number of hours when there is more than one entry per employee ID.

For reference, this is the function I am currently using. "PTO" is the name I have defined for the section of the spreadsheet that I dump the report into.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A35,PTO,3,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A35,PTO,3,FALSE))

This function does exactly what I want it to do if there are 0 or 1 result per employee ID, but doesn't do anything with additional entries for the same employee. Any help you guys could provide on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have used the HTML maker suggested on your forum to create an example of the data I am using. Hopefully this will help:
Example.xls
ABCD
1EmpIDDateHours
2102AUG-01-20048.00
3102AUG-05-20044.50
499AUG-06-20048.00
5228JUL-28-20048.00
699JUL-30-20048.00
7102JUL-30-20048.00
8357JUL-30-20048.00
9456JUL-30-20048.00
PTO

Thanks in advance!! (y)

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Use the SumIf function :wink:

example of totaling all hours for empl# 102

=SUMIF(A:A,102,C:C)

In other words ... look in Column A , for value 102, when found total corresponding values in Column C

Upvote 0
Ah, thank you for the advice Nimrod, that is exactly the sort of simple answer I needed. I KNEW there had to be a function in there somewhere that already did what I was looking for, I just couldn't find it. I have a followup question though. :oops:

How do I combine that function with the function I am already using? I need to use it inside a VLOOKUP, because a) the function is on a different sheet than the paid time off report output, and b) the employee numbers are not static... I have it set up so you type in an employee's number, and it pulls up all the relevant data in subsequent boxes using VLOOKUPs. Any ideas on how I can get the syntax to work correctly?

Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0
Hey...

I was reading this read in search of a way to get a percentage of a column that has vlookups. If I reference a column that does not have the vlookups... the formula works... if I reference the column that has the vlookup... I get a #n/a

This is what the formula I am working with looks like in the above scenario:

=IF(ISERROR(SUM(IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000=$A9,IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000>"3",1,0)))/$I9),"",(SUM(IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000=$A9,IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000>"3",1,0)))/$I9))

Any Ideas??

Upvote 0
Rayzzor said:
Hey...

I was reading this read in search of a way to get a percentage of a column that has vlookups. If I reference a column that does not have the vlookups... the formula works... if I reference the column that has the vlookup... I get a #n/a

=IF(ISERROR(SUM(IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000=$A9,IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000>"3",1,0)))/$I9),"",(SUM(IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000=$A9,IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000>"3",1,0)))/$I9))

Any Ideas??

You should have started your own thread, possibly with a reference to the current one...

If you're not going to control what VLOOKUP formulas return, then try:

=SUM(IF(1-ISNA('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000),IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000=$A9,IF(ISNUMBER('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000),IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000>3,1)))))

which you need to confirm with control+shift+enter instead of just with enter.

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:
Rayzzor said:
Hey...

Any Ideas??

You should have started your own thread, possibly with a reference to the current one...

If you're not going to control what VLOOKUP formulas return, then try:

=SUM(IF(1-ISNA('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000),IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$AR$4:$AR$4000=$A9,IF(ISNUMBER('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000),IF('Raw Data - CSAT'!$N$4:$N$4000>3,1)))))

which you need to confirm with control+shift+enter instead of just with enter.

Sorry about not starting a new thread... won't happen again.

But anyways... thank you very much, after tweaking the code a bit (forgot to mention that the vlookup column results was text) I was able to make it work!!

Cheers!!! (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back