Formulas for acres of land

Paul B

I want to find out how many acres there are in an area, I know how to do it if the land is somewhat square, 43560 sq.ft. to the acre, what I need is to know the mathematical formulas to add the perimeter, property line, up and get the acres from it. Thanks :)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
The conversion part is easy as you say, but the problem lies in which formula to use to determine area. Land parcels can come in all shapes (square, rectangular, circular, trapezoidal, triangular, etc.), with irregular property lines, such as if bordered by a stream or hillside.

More theory in this reply than example unfortunately.

I'm a real estate broker in California, not trying to give you a difficult answer, just that maybe you can look at formulas dealing with geometric shapes as a way to attack this.

Tom Urtis

Upvote 0
Thanks tom I will check into that, but I was hoping someone might have the formulas to do this, I am fairly sure that a survey company can take the property line in feet and get the number of acres, using some mathematical formulas.

Upvote 0
Many Excel books will have these formulas, such as John Walkenbach's Excel Formulas book, in the chapter "Miscellaneous Calculations".

Be careful (here's the broker in me coming out), nothing gets purchasers of land or buildings angrier -- and more quickly -- than learning that the quantity of square feet or acres they paid for is less than what they were told. I can tell you, I sleep better at night when I hand the land size questions over to a professional surveyor.

Good luck.

Tom Urtis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back