Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Formulas for acres of land

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to find out how many acres there are in an area, I know how to do it if the land is somewhat square, 43560 sq.ft. to the acre, what I need is to know the mathematical formulas to add the perimeter, property line, up and get the acres from it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The conversion part is easy as you say, but the problem lies in which formula to use to determine area. Land parcels can come in all shapes (square, rectangular, circular, trapezoidal, triangular, etc.), with irregular property lines, such as if bordered by a stream or hillside.

More theory in this reply than example unfortunately.

I'm a real estate broker in California, not trying to give you a difficult answer, just that maybe you can look at formulas dealing with geometric shapes as a way to attack this.

Tom Urtis

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks tom I will check into that, but I was hoping someone might have the formulas to do this, I am fairly sure that a survey company can take the property line in feet and get the number of acres, using some mathematical formulas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many Excel books will have these formulas, such as John Walkenbach's Excel Formulas book, in the chapter "Miscellaneous Calculations".

Be careful (here's the broker in me coming out), nothing gets purchasers of land or buildings angrier -- and more quickly -- than learning that the quantity of square feet or acres they paid for is less than what they were told. I can tell you, I sleep better at night when I hand the land size questions over to a professional surveyor.

Good luck.

Tom Urtis

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others