Anchoring issue - must be something wrong

soilwork6

Hi guys. For some reason I am having an anchoring issue i.e. B$6 is acting the same way as $B$6. I am only trying to anchor the row not the column and they are both anchoring which I don't want. When I drag down, B6 doesn't change either way I try it. Must be a quick fix I'm not seeing. Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Yes thank you. What made you think of this formula? This does work and I only need to change two numbers when I grab the formula and paste it in another column that I pulling data for in the next row down. I am still surprised with the anchoring for both anchored column and row and just anchoring the row..

Upvote 0
Yes thank you. What made you think of this formula? This does work and I only need to change two numbers when I grab the formula and paste it in another column that I pulling data for in the next row down. I am still surprised with the anchoring for both anchored column and row and just anchoring the row..

=$B6

dragged down,we get successively the contents of

B6
B7
B8

This is the intent of the set up: the column component is fixed while the row component increments.

Dragging to the right, this will return the contents of B6 repeatedly in each successive cell.

=B$6

dragged to the right, we get successively the contents of

B6, C6, D6, E6, ...

This is the intent of the set up: the column component increments while the row component is fixed.

Dragging down will return the contents of B6 repeatedly in each successive cell.

=B6

dragging to the right and the down will yield:

B6, C6, D6...
B7, C7, D7...
B8, C8, D8...

=$B$6

gives just the contents of B6 when dragged down or when dragged to the right.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your detailed reply. I don't think I phrased it well. On the sheet that I am dragging the formula down for example is:

B1
B2
B3
B4

Will need to pull information from another sheet

B1 ( will pull info from another sheet from cell C6)
B2 (..D7)
B3 (E7)
B4 (F7)

and so on..

I am pulling info down from a reference that goes across.. kind of like transpose..

=$B6

dragged down,we get successively the contents of

B6
B7
B8

This is the intent of the set up: the column component is fixed while the row component increments.

Dragging to the right, this will return the contents of B6 repeatedly in each successive cell.

=B$6

dragged to the right, we get successively the contents of

B6, C6, D6, E6, ...

This is the intent of the set up: the column component increments while the row component is fixed.

Dragging down will return the contents of B6 repeatedly in each successive cell.

=B6

dragging to the right and the down will yield:

B6, C6, D6...
B7, C7, D7...
B8, C8, D8...

=$B$6

gives just the contents of B6 when dragged down or when dragged to the right.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your detailed reply. I don't think I phrased it well. On the sheet that I am dragging the formula down for example is:

B1
B2
B3
B4

Will need to pull information from another sheet

B1 ( will pull info from another sheet from cell C6)
B2 (..D7)
B3 (E7)
B4 (F7)

and so on..

I am pulling info down from a reference that goes across.. kind of like transpose..

In B1 (of Sheet1) enter and copy down:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$C$7:$Z$7,ROWS($B$1:B1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back