Complicated formula needed

mhawkins73

I am hoping someone out there has an answer for this one. I am trying to get a field to automatically populate from one of three tables that is dependent upon possible values in two to three fields. Some context here is that I am tracking employee benefit enrollments. Each employee has three plan options to choose from that all have different prices that are dependent of their age. So if employee #1 chooses plan #2 and is age 45 then they have X price, it is that price I am looking to get populated from one of the three tables.

Additionally, this is further complicated that their are separate prices for each dependent and of course based off their age. I have collected the name, age, and plan choice for each employee and dependent they enrolled.

Is this something that is possible? I just have not been able to figure out how to incorporate the multiple factors that drive the result. Thank you in advance. :)

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
You could have in-cell formulas with embedded IF statements and maybe a couple CHOOSE's, or you could write your own functions in vba it's up to you.
Post a small example and i'll see what I can come up with.

Is this something similar to what you're working with?
Plan 1 ($/mo)
Age--> 20 30 40 50 60 70
0 120 130 140 150 160 170
1 132 143 154 165 176 187
2 144 156 168 180 192 204
3 156 169 182 195 208 221
4 168 182 196 210 224 238
5 180 195 210 225 240 255
^# Dependents

Excuse the terrible formatting... I can never get it pretty

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something like that yes. I have tried to pull relevant pieces of my worksheet that should show what I am trying to do.

Excerpt from worksheet;
AgePlan NameCoverage Level EE Monthly RateDep Monthly RateEE DeductionDep Deduction
66KaiserEE Only????

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

This is an excerpt from one of the 3 tables. All three are same format just different data which is dependent off the selection made on the Plan Name;
Employee OnlyPer Dependent
Bi-Weekly PremiumBi-Weekly Premium
AgeMo. Premiums
0$171.32$35$79.07
1$171.32$35$79.07
2$171.32$35$79.07
3$171.32$35$79.07
4$171.32$35$79.07

<colgroup><col span="2"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

So as you see the rates I have are by plan, by age and per person. While in the example I provided the rates are the same it does differ as the ages increase. I have every age from 0-100 in the tables. By selecting the plan name it dictates which table we are to use then the age of each person dictates the rate and if there are 3 dependents it is the sum of each of the three individual rates.

I hope this helps paint a better picture. Thank you for helping out with this.

Upvote 0
I see now!

Assumptions (Change as needed): "Age" is in column A, your first entry is in Row 2, the "Kaiser" plan is in the range I2:O102 (Column O indicating the max dependents is 5), and the number of dependents is inbetween Plan Name and Coverage Level (Column C)

So for the employee only rate in Column E:
=IF(B2="Kaiser", VLOOKUP(A2, H2:O102, 2, FALSE), If B2 = "Plan2", VLOOKUP(A2, [Range of Plan 2], 2, FALSE), If B2="Plan3",VLOOKUP(A2, [Range of Plan 3], 2, FALSE)))

Dep Monthly Rate in Column F:
=IF(B2="Kaiser", CHOOSE(C2+1, 0, K2, L2, M2, N2, O2), IF(B2="Plan2", CHOOSE(C2+1, 0, [Plan2 - 1 Dep.], [Plan2 - 2 Dep.], [Plan2 - 3 Dep.], [Plan2 - 4 Dep.], [Plan2 - 5 Dep.]), IF(B2="Plan3", CHOOSE(C2+1, 0, [Plan3 - 1 Dep.], [Plan3 - 2 Dep.], [Plan3 - 3 Dep.], [Plan3 - 4 Dep.], [Plan3 - 5 Dep.])))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far with the Employee Only rate I am getting an error that states I have entered too many arguments in the function. Did I miss something?

Upvote 0
@mhawkins73, NickRed18's formula has a typo. It's missing some parentheses. I don't know if the formula will work or not, but it will have correct syntax if you just replace it with this:

=IF(B2="Kaiser", VLOOKUP(A2, H2:O102, 2, FALSE), IF (B2 = "Plan2", VLOOKUP(A2, [Range of Plan 2], 2, FALSE),IF (B2="Plan3",VLOOKUP(A2, [Range of Plan 3], 2, FALSE))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no yet tried the dependent one yet but from the looks of it we may be missing something here. I think we are on point with the plan but with the dependent I am not sure I follow. Let's say I have a wife and three kids ages 38, 21, 9, 3 then the rates would be $131.70, $113.63, $79.07, and $79.07 giving me a total of $403.47 which is the value I would be looking for.

Upvote 0
It worked!!!! Thank you both! Now on to the more complicated one. :eek:

@mhawkins73, NickRed18's formula has a typo. It's missing some parentheses. I don't know if the formula will work or not, but it will have correct syntax if you just replace it with this:

=IF(B2="Kaiser", VLOOKUP(A2, H2:O102, 2, FALSE), IF (B2 = "Plan2", VLOOKUP(A2, [Range of Plan 2], 2, FALSE),IF (B2="Plan3",VLOOKUP(A2, [Range of Plan 3], 2, FALSE))))

Upvote 0
Thanks ErikTyler for catching that!

My mistake mhawkins, I misunderstood the dependent aspect of your question. I thought the rates applied to the age of the employee, and then the number of dependents were a set rate no matter what age they were.

Upvote 0
No worries. So basically once we determine the plan name then we would want to look to see if the dependent age fields are populated and if so then we would coordinate that with the age on the price sheet to give us the rate then it is all summed up. If no age listed this 0. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back