How to sum values based on criteria in another column in Excel

DanDBZ

Hi,

I am wondering if there is an easy conditioning format to have a cell sum all the rows of a column that contain a certain date in the column next to it?

Dan

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
CF cannot return the result of a formula - it can only do formatting based upon specified criteria.

Assuming you want to sum A2:A10 if the date in A1 is 1 July 2017 put this in a blank cell :
=IF(A1=DATE(2017,7,1),SUM(A2:A10),"")

Upvote 0
Use SUMIF()...
=SUMIF(date-range, date, sum-range)
date can either be hard coded or put into its own cell (preferred) and then referenced.

If you want to sum between 2 dates, change to sumifS()...
=sumifs(sum-range, date-range, ">="&start-date, date-range, "<="& end date()
again, the start date and end date are better referenced, than hard coded

Upvote 0
CF cannot return the result of a formula - it can only do formatting based upon specified criteria.

Assuming you want to sum A2:A10 if the date in A1 is 1 July 2017 put this in a blank cell :
=IF(A1=DATE(2017,7,1),SUM(A2:A10),"")

Unless that is copied down to all cells, and then that range is summed, I dont see how that will work? If A1 does match, it will sum the whole range

Upvote 0
Unless that is copied down to all cells, and then that range is summed, I dont see how that will work? If A1 does match, it will sum the whole range

I guess I didn't read his post properly :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies,

I am after a formula that sum's all rows in a column (A1:A25) which ever cells in B column state July

So sum A1 if B1 is july, Add A2 if B2 is july etc.

Upvote 0
I am after a formula that sum's all rows in a column (A1:A25) which ever cells in B column state July
That's a little bit different.
Previous suggestion was for a specific single date, like say July 4th 2017.
But now you're saying any date within July? So Any date between July 1st and July 31st ??

Which version of Excel are you using?
Are the dates real excel dates, confirm with
=ISNUMBER(A1) and filled down.
Do those return True or False ?

Upvote 0
Hi Bryan,

thanks for the reply.

i can confirm that the cell with the date can have anything as i have only just started it but i want to capture the month and year.

I am using 2016 excel from 365.

I can let you know what the sheet is for and it may give you an understanding. I write invoices out to my clients and just log the invoice amount and date it was sent. My accountant wants me to show how much i am invoicing per month but due to the invoices being sent randomly (first invoice could be july, second could be aug, third could be july, it is hard for me to track automatically without filtering

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back