Speed up search code

KalleK

Hello,

I got the code below. With 24000 rows it takes 42 seconds to execute. Is it possible to do it in another way to speed up?

Kalle

Rich (BB code):
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub CommandButton5_Click()
    Dim rng1 As Range
    Dim strSearch As String
    Dim V As Variant
    Dim shRow As Long

NotCorrect = 0
    startTime = Timer

' Speed on
    glb_origCalculationMode = Application.Calculation
    With Application
        .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .EnableEvents = False
        .DisplayAlerts = False
        .Cursor = xlWait
        .StatusBar = StatusBarMsg
        .EnableCancelKey = xlErrorHandler
    End With

' Set Range
    N = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    RangeNew = "A1" & ":" & "A" & Str(N)
    RangeNew = Replace(RangeNew, " ", "")

' Search Sheet2
    Set rRng = Sheets("sheet1").Range(RangeNew)
    For Each rCell In rRng.Cells
        V = Application.Match(rCell.Value, Sheets("Sheet2").Range(RangeNew), 0)
        If IsError(V) Then
            Sheets("sheet1").Cells(rCell.Row, 1).Interior.Color = vbYellow
            NotCorrect = NotCorrect + 1
        Else
        End If
    Next rCell

' Speed off
    With Application
        .Calculation = glb_origCalculationMode
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .EnableEvents = True
        .DisplayAlerts = True
        .CalculateBeforeSave = True
        .Cursor = xlDefault
        .StatusBar = False
        .EnableCancelKey = xlInterrupt
    End With

EndTime = Timer
    MsgBox "Total Time: " & EndTime - startTime
    MsgBox Str(NotCorrect)
End Sub

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Is it possible to do it in another way to speed up?

Generally, working with arrays is faster than working with ranges, so you might consider...

*Copying each sheet to its own array
*Running your comparison (maybe a nested For/Next loop)
*If a match isn't found write the first array values to a third array
*At completion, write the third array to a new sheet

Of course, you'll have to run timing tests to see if it's faster than your current approach.

Cheers,

tonyyy

Upvote 0
Can you explain what you're trying to do, especially this part:

Code:
    [COLOR=blue]Set[/COLOR] rRng [B]=[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Range[B]([/B]RangeNew[B])[/B]
    [COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Each[/COLOR] rCell [COLOR=blue]In[/COLOR] rRng.Cells
        V [B]=[/B] Application.Match[B]([/B]rCell.Value[B],[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Sheet2"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Range[B]([/B]RangeNew[B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]
        [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] IsError[B]([/B]V[B])[/B] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]
            Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Cells[B]([/B]rCell.Row[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]).[/B]Interior.Color [B]=[/B] vbYellow
            NotCorrect [B]=[/B] NotCorrect [B]+[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
        [COLOR=blue]Else[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR] rCell

Are you trying to make the cell in col A yellow if its value has no match with any values in col A sheet2?

Upvote 0
Thanks Tonyyy for the comments.

Hello Akuini, yes that is what I want. Check if the values in Col A for sheet1 exist in Col A for sheet2 if not make the row yellow.

Upvote 0
Try this:
I use column Z as helper column, you may change that to suit your need.

Code:
[COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR] a1015771b[B]()[/B]
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'sheet1 must be the activesheet[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] N [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR][B],[/B] i [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] va[B],[/B] vc[B],[/B] vz
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] NotCorrect [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating [B]=[/B] [COLOR=blue]False[/COLOR]

NotCorrect [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR][/B]
    startTime [B]=[/B] Timer

N [B]=[/B] Cells[B]([/B]Rows.count[B],[/B] [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR][B]).[/B][COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR][B]([/B]xlUp[B]).[/B]row
     vz [B]=[/B] Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A1:A"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] N[B]).[/B]Value
      va [B]=[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet2"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A1:A"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] N[B]).[/B]Value
       [COLOR=blue]ReDim[/COLOR] vc[B]([/B][B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]

[COLOR=blue]Set[/COLOR] d [B]=[/B] CreateObject[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR][B])[/B]
    d.CompareMode [B]=[/B] vbBinaryCompare

[COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] i [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]
        d[B]([/B]va[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]))[/B] [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] d.exists[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR][B])[/B] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR] d.Remove [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] i [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]vz[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]
        [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Not[/COLOR] d.exists[B]([/B]vz[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]))[/B] [COLOR=blue]And[/COLOR] vz[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]<>[/B] [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]
            vc[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] [COLOR=brown]"X"[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR=seagreen]'put the result in helper column Z[/COLOR][/I]
    Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Z1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Resize[B]([/B]UBound[B]([/B]vc[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] vc

Application.ReplaceFormat.Interior.Color [B]=[/B] vbYellow
    [COLOR=blue]With[/COLOR] Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Z1:Z"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] N[B])[/B]
        [B].[/B]Replace What[B]:=[/B][COLOR=brown]"X"[/COLOR][B],[/B] Replacement[B]:=[/B][COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR][B],[/B] lookat[B]:=[/B]xlWhole[B],[/B] _
                 searchFormat[B]:=[/B][COLOR=blue]False[/COLOR][B],[/B] ReplaceFormat[B]:=[/B][COLOR=blue]True[/COLOR]
        [B].[/B]Copy
    [COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]With[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR=seagreen]'clear previous Interior.Color[/COLOR][/I]
    Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A1:A"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] N[B]).[/B]Interior.Color [B]=[/B] xlNone
    Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]PasteSpecial paste[B]:=[/B]xlPasteFormats
    Columns[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Z"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Delete

EndTime [B]=[/B] Timer
    MsgBox [COLOR=brown]"Total Time: "[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] EndTime [B]-[/B] startTime [B]&[/B] vbLf [B]&[/B] _
    [COLOR=brown]"NotCorrect: "[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] str[B]([/B]NotCorrect[B])[/B]

Application.ScreenUpdating [B]=[/B] [COLOR=blue]True[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Thanks Akuini!!!! Very fast code!!!!

Can you help me to change the code like this? This is my goal.
1. Sheet1 and Sheet2 contains 20 columns
2. If the contents of column A in sheet1 if found in Column A in sheet2 but any of the other columns for that row does not match, write gren at column A in sheet1. If it is not found as you have done, write column A in sheet 1 yellow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Akuini!!!! Very fast code!!!!

2. If the contents of column A in sheet1 if found in Column A in sheet2 but any of the other columns for that row does not match, write gren at column A in sheet1. If it is not found as you have done, write column A in sheet 1 yellow.

I need more info:
Do col A in sheet1 & sheet2 have unique values?
Do sheet1 & sheet2 have the same amount of rows?

Upvote 0
Akuini...

Code:
    For i = 1 To UBound(vz, 1)
        If Not d.exists(vz(i, 1)) And vz(i, 1) <> "" Then
            vc(i, 1) = "X"
            NotCorrect = NotCorrect + 1
        End If
    Next

I like how you utilized the Dictionary object. Thanks for sharing!

tonyyy

Upvote 0

I need more info:
Do col A in sheet1 & sheet2 have unique values?
Do sheet1 & sheet2 have the same amount of rows?

Hello Akuini,
1, Yes, Col A have unique values
2. No, the sheets could have different amount of rows

Best Regards
Kalle

Upvote 0
OK, try this:

Code:
[COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR] a1015771c[B]()[/B]
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'sheet1 must be the activesheet[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] n [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR][B],[/B] m [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR][B],[/B] i [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] va[B],[/B] vc[B],[/B] vz
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] NotCorrect [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating [B]=[/B] [COLOR=blue]False[/COLOR]

NotCorrect [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR][/B]
    startTime [B]=[/B] Timer

n [B]=[/B] Cells[B]([/B]Rows.count[B],[/B] [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR][B]).[/B][COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR][B]([/B]xlUp[B]).[/B]row
    vz [B]=[/B] Range[B]([/B]Cells[B]([/B][B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] Cells[B]([/B]n[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]20[/COLOR][/B][B])).[/B]Value
    [COLOR=blue]With[/COLOR] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet2"[/COLOR][B])[/B]
        m [B]=[/B] [B].[/B]Cells[B]([/B]Rows.count[B],[/B] [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR][B]).[/B][COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR][B]([/B]xlUp[B]).[/B]row
        va [B]=[/B] [B].[/B]Range[B](.[/B]Cells[B]([/B][B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B].[/B]Cells[B]([/B]m[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]20[/COLOR][/B][B])).[/B]Value

[COLOR=blue]ReDim[/COLOR] vc[B]([/B][B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]

[COLOR=blue]Set[/COLOR] d [B]=[/B] CreateObject[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR][B])[/B]
    d.CompareMode [B]=[/B] vbTextCompare

[COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] i [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]
        d[B]([/B]va[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]))[/B] [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] d.exists[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR][B])[/B] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR] d.Remove [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] i [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]vz[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]

[COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Not[/COLOR] d.exists[B]([/B]vz[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]))[/B] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] vz[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]<>[/B] [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]
                vc[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] [COLOR=brown]"Y"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Else[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] j [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]
                [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] vz[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] va[B]([/B]j[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] k [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] [B][COLOR=crimson]20[/COLOR][/B]
                        [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] vz[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] k[B])[/B] [B]<>[/B] va[B]([/B]j[B],[/B] k[B])[/B] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]
                            vc[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] [COLOR=brown]"G"[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=blue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR=seagreen]'put the result in helper column Z[/COLOR][/I]
    Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Z1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Resize[B]([/B]UBound[B]([/B]vc[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] vc

[COLOR=blue]With[/COLOR] Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Z1:Z"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] n[B])[/B]
        Application.ReplaceFormat.Interior.Color [B]=[/B] vbYellow
           [B].[/B]Replace What[B]:=[/B][COLOR=brown]"Y"[/COLOR][B],[/B] Replacement[B]:=[/B][COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR][B],[/B] lookat[B]:=[/B]xlWhole[B],[/B] _
                 searchFormat[B]:=[/B][COLOR=blue]False[/COLOR][B],[/B] ReplaceFormat[B]:=[/B][COLOR=blue]True[/COLOR]

Application.ReplaceFormat.Interior.Color [B]=[/B] vbGreen
           [B].[/B]Replace What[B]:=[/B][COLOR=brown]"G"[/COLOR][B],[/B] Replacement[B]:=[/B][COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR][B],[/B] lookat[B]:=[/B]xlWhole[B],[/B] _

[B].[/B]Copy

Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]PasteSpecial paste[B]:=[/B]xlPasteFormats
    Columns[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"Z"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Delete

Application.ScreenUpdating [B]=[/B] [COLOR=blue]True[/COLOR]

EndTime [B]=[/B] Timer
    MsgBox [COLOR=brown]"Total Time: "[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] EndTime [B]-[/B] startTime [B]&[/B] vbLf [B]&[/B] _
    [COLOR=brown]"NotCorrect: "[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] str[B]([/B]NotCorrect[B])[/B]

[COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back