Is there an easier way? LOOKUP

afarris89

Hello!
I am using a lookup function to extract a few pieces of data from a spreadsheet i receive monthly. Currently, to use my function, I first have to define my arrays before I can sort into an ascending order. All in all, this requires about 200 arrays to be defined to use a rather simple lookup function: =LOOKUP("Logged-in",andrea1,andreaT1) Andrea1 being the whole data set for Andrea and AndreaT1 being one column of data in Andrea's data set. Am I using the wrong function entirely? Am I missing a key concept of the lookup function? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
What are the actual ranges referenced by the 2 named ranges andrea1 and andreaT1 ?
Both need to be single column ranges
andrea1 being the column to find "Logged-in"
andreaT1 being the colunt to return a value from based on the row where Logged-in was found.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are the actual ranges referenced by the 2 named ranges andrea1 and andreaT1 ?
Both need to be single column ranges
andrea1 being the column to find "Logged-in"
andreaT1 being the colunt to return a value from based on the row where Logged-in was found.

I guess that I have been doing this incorrectly. I have been using a3:g23 for Andrea1 (roughly, the number of cells changes each month so a range would not work) and D3:d23 for AndreaT1. The thing is, this works just fine for me, my issue is the amount of arrays that I have to define. I have to make those two definitions for each person and for each day on my list. By the end of it, its 200 arrays that have to be defined. Is there something more efficient that i can be doing to achieve the same result?

Upvote 0
ok, that acutally works, but after a fasion of Excel making adjustments, guessing at what it thinks you meant.
It's really only looking for the match in A3:A23 (the left most column of A3:G23), it won't find it if it's in say C15.

Realistically, the 'correct' way to write it would be
=LOOKUP(value,A3:A23,D3:D23)
or even
=LOOKUP(value,A3:D23)

But the way you're doing it does work, after Excel assumes you meant to reference only the leftmost column of the array.
And as long as you understand that, and you're not expecting it to find the match in a column other than A, then...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok, that acutally works, but after a fasion of Excel making adjustments, guessing at what it thinks you meant.
It's really only looking for the match in A3:A23 (the left most column of A3:G23), it won't find it if it's in say C15.

Realistically, the 'correct' way to write it would be
=LOOKUP(value,A3:A23,D3:D23)
or even
=LOOKUP(value,A3:D23)

But the way you're doing it does work, after Excel assumes you meant to reference only the leftmost column of the array.
And as long as you understand that, and you're not expecting it to find the match in a column other than A, then...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I just tried doing this by defining single column arrays but this continues to give me an #N/A error message. Ive tried to sort in a number of ways but nothing is producing a result by doing this. Is this something i would have to use cell ranges for?
Thanks for all your input!

Upvote 0
I didn't know you were actually getting #N/A errors. I only got the impression that you were asking if this was the best way..

Anyway, with Lookup, it assumes the data is sorted in Ascending order by the leftmost column.
If it's reurning #N/A, that means the lookup value is SMALLER than the Lowest value in the range.
Or that lookup value is a different data type than what is in the lookup range, i.e. Text Vs Number.
Use Isnumber(A1) to test if a value is a number or text

Upvote 0
Oh that only started happening when I tried the correct way you just taught me. ha! my way works just fine, its just very time consuming.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're actually asking..

What do you mean
I have to make those two definitions for each person and for each day on my list

Can you give examples for at least 2 users ?
Defined names and the actual ranges they refer to, and working formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back