Migrating All Macros from Modules into Add-In: Should I At All / How Do I Do It?

MacroEcon1337

Board Regular
Situation
I have a modestly complex workbook, with a lot of modules containing custom macros. The workbook also has a customized toolbar which links to a lot of these macros. The workbook is not connected to "linked" to any other workbooks. Most of the macros involve manipulations on the sheets [hiding rows, sorting columns, things of that nature]... but there is a heavy interaction between the macros and named-ranges in the workbook. For example, some of the toolbar buttons reference specific sheets or named ranges that would not exist in other workbooks. [However, the toolbar offers much functionality that is not dependent on workbook-specific named/ranges, but somehow Excel will have to recognize which enviornment it is in: it's native/original workbook, or a new workbook]

Motivations for Migrating to Add-In
I want to migrate the toolbar, and associated library of macros, into an excel-add in. The motivations behind this are: (1) to make the toolbar accessible from any excel document [right now, the toolbar is only accessible from the workbook that has the modules] and (2) to provide a minimal layer of protection to the source code, which is totally exposed.

Other Notes
- Currently working in Excel 2010, but will likely shift to Excel 2016 later in the summer. Would it be better to do the conversion after that?
- Would I want to use a Com Add-in?
- The Toolbar still has value

Any wisdom or suggestions for execution on this topic are greatly appreciated,

MC

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back