Match two different data sets by common characteristics

daddynator

Currently I have two sets of data that I want to compare - real estate transactions that occurred before a certain date and real estate transactions that occurred after a certain date. What I would like to do is pair the before with the after based on a certain set of criteria. Some of these criteria include being within a certain lot size square footage, having the same bed/bath count, etc. I would then want to put the results on another sheet which organizes them with the before match on top and the after match on the bottom. I have about 10,000 observations for both the before and after (20,000 total) and some of these observations would pair more than once. In total I believe I would come away with about 1,000 pairings based on the criteria that I’m looking to match it by. Any suggestions? My excel skills are pretty basic but I've looked into power query and it seems like a promising solution.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back