ThisWorkbook.UpdateRemoteReferences NOT working with OLE Word Doc linked in Excel

ajcourtney

It seems that most of these situations involve linking Excel data to a Word doc. I'm doing the exact opposite: I have a letter in Word that I update monthly that needs to be linked to many Excel workbooks.

This is Excel 2010 BTW...

I can embed the object into each appropriate worksheet in these workbooks (making sure I choose Object ->Create from File->browse to the correct file on the network, and then check the "Link to file" checkbox), but changes made to the Word document are not reflected after running the VBA code in each workbook via the AutoOpen feature.

I'm guessing something in my existing code is breaking the updateremotereferences command (or perhaps I'm not using it correctly). Checking the "Update links to other documents" under Excel's advanced options is not really an option because it's not just one workbook - it's potentially 100's. And I'm guessing every time a new workbook would be created, someone would have to remember to check that option for that new workbook. I did suppress the update links warning dialogue box through the advanced options in Excel, though.

If I use ThisWorkbook.UpdateRemoteReferences = True, I get a distorted (stretched) giant icon of the OLE object instead of the text after the sheet is printed as a PDF. Weird. If I rem out the command, I get the Word document correctly minus the most recent changes.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back