Macro to filter through list of names in a listbox

pimp_mentality

Hey guys i would like some help fine tuning my userform.

Here is the deal. I have a UserForm with several TextBoxes and a Listbox which is populated with a list of names once the form is open. When I click on a name from the list, information related to that name populates the varied TextBoxes alphabetically.

The thing is the list has grown quite a bit now so what I would like to do is to have a textbox on top of the list box for searching purposes. the idea is as the user types a name in the searchbox it would filter through the names in the list boxes simultaneously as the user types. So in other words if the user is searching for the name Dave when the user types "D" the listbox list jumps to D then when they type "Da" it jumps to all name with starting with Da and so forth.

Now I think this is possible by way outside my novice coding skills. So any assistance would be appreciated

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Assuming the name list is in sheet1 col A, try this:

Code:
[COLOR=blue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR] TextBox1_Change[B]()[/B]
[COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] dar [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Object[/COLOR][B],[/B] vList[B],[/B] i [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Long[/COLOR]
vList [B]=[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A2"[/COLOR][B],[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Cells[B]([/B]Rows.Count[B],[/B] [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR][B]).[/B][COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR][B]([/B]xlUp[B])).[/B]Value
    [COLOR=blue]Set[/COLOR] dar [B]=[/B] CreateObject[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"System.Collections.ArrayList"[/COLOR][B])[/B]

[COLOR=blue]For[/COLOR] i [B]=[/B] LBound[B]([/B]vList[B])[/B] [COLOR=blue]To[/COLOR] UBound[B]([/B]vList[B])[/B]
        [I][COLOR=seagreen]'If LCase(CStr(vList(i, 1))) Like "*" & Replace(LCase(cbox.Value), " ", "*") & "*" Then[/COLOR][/I]
        [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR] LCase[B]([/B][COLOR=blue]CStr[/COLOR][B]([/B]vList[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])))[/B] [COLOR=blue]Like[/COLOR] Replace[B]([/B]LCase[B]([/B]TextBox1.Value[B]),[/B] [COLOR=brown]" "[/COLOR][B],[/B] [COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR][B])[/B] [B]&[/B] [COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Then[/COLOR]
          dar.Add [COLOR=blue]CStr[/COLOR][B]([/B]vList[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]))[/B]
        [COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]If[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Next[/COLOR]
       [I][COLOR=seagreen]'dar.Sort 'if you need to sort the list [/COLOR][/I]
       ListBox1.List [B]=[/B] dar.toarray[B]()[/B]
[COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Good sir,

thanks for the assistance. however, when I integrate the code nothing happens when i test by typing into the designated TextBox nothing happens.

i suspect the problem may be with the last line of code ListBox1.List = dar.toarray(). I make this assumption as the listbox is populated by the content from the workbook. but hey i could be spouting utter rubbish

Upvote 0
If you are using RowSource to populate the ListBox, this code won't work. But, since every name matches a blank text box, your current "fill the list box" can be replaced with this.

(BTW, if you are going to be using this cross-platform, be aware that Mac does not support the dictionary object)

Upvote 0
any idea on how to modify the code to account for RowSource

Sorry, I don’t know how to do that. Maybe somebody else could help.
But, is it really necessary to use RowSource?
It’s simpler to use code like this (note: the RowSource must be empty):

Code:
[COLOR=blue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR] UserForm_Initialize[B]()[/B]
ListBox1.List [B]=[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A2"[/COLOR][B],[/B] Sheets[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Cells[B]([/B]Rows.Count[B],[/B] [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR][B]).[/B][COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR][B]([/B]xlUp[B])).[/B]Value
[COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
you are right sir, did it your way and works great now, Much thanks.

Now I have a new problem though

I had a line of code which would display the number or entry in the Database within a small textbox above the list box her is the code

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

ListBox1.List = Sheets("PI").Range("B2", Sheets("PI").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp)).Value

[B]    TextBox9.Text = LastRow - 1[/B]

Application.Run "Arrange"

End Sub

Now the code does not work, in the designated TextBox all I see now is -1 any suggestions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is LastRow?
If you mean the last item in the listbox you can do this:
Code:
TextBox9.Text = ListBox1.List(ListBox1.ListCount - 1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back