hiding specific shapes on workbook open

dirtywizard

Hi all

I've set up a series of button click macros to guide users around an excel file I've built. These are linked to a series of 'storyboard' comments on the data they're looking at.

The current process takes users from sheet to sheet, hiding the commentary on the sheet moved from at the point the user moves to the next sheet (so that users can either choose to ignore the storyboard from the off, or go back without it in their way later on)

To fully close the loop I wanted to fire off a workbook_open macro to ensure all commentary is not visible when opening the workbook. I've written this:

Code:
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Arial]Private Sub workbook_open()[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Application.ScreenUpdating = False[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]On Error Resume Next[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Dim sp As Shape[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Dim ws As Worksheet[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]For Each sp In ws.Shapes[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]If sp.Name Like "story*" Then[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]ActiveSheet.Shapes(sp.Name).Visible = False[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]End If[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Next sp[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Next ws[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Worksheets("Contents").Activate[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Arial]Application.ScreenUpdating = True[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=Arial]End Sub[/FONT][/COLOR]

which isn't hiding the shapes as required - it does hide shapes on the contents sheet in a couple of tests run, but doesn't move through the sheets hiding as required.

Any ideas what I next to do to fix it?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
What type of shapes are you using? Have you verified that they all have names that start with "story"? What happens if you comment out the "On Error Resume Next" line , save, close and re-open the workbook?

Upvote 0
Hi JoeMo

Removing the "on error resume next" pops up an error stating it can't find the named shape, and then the rest of the macro doesn't fire.

All shapes to be hidden are rounded rectangles (I wanted them to be prettier than command buttons) and have the prefix "story". I have macros that take users through each relevant sheet (sheet1/sheet2 etc), hiding the buttons on sheet1 when moving to sheet2 and showing the buttons on sheet2 etc. all of the other macros function as expected.

I've tested the open macro by making the shapes visible in individual sheets and then saving/opening whilst on that sheet - with the "on error resume next" line used it does hide the shapes on the first 'active' sheet, but doesn't do the cycling between each sheet

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi JoeMo

Removing the "on error resume next" pops up an error stating it can't find the named shape, and then the rest of the macro doesn't fire.

All shapes to be hidden are rounded rectangles (I wanted them to be prettier than command buttons) and have the prefix "story". I have macros that take users through each relevant sheet (sheet1/sheet2 etc), hiding the buttons on sheet1 when moving to sheet2 and showing the buttons on sheet2 etc. all of the other macros function as expected.

I've tested the open macro by making the shapes visible in individual sheets and then saving/opening whilst on that sheet - with the "on error resume next" line used it does hide the shapes on the first 'active' sheet, but doesn't do the cycling between each sheet
This works for me when I have 4 rounded rectangles named story1, story2, .... , story4 on three different sheets.
Code:
Private Sub workbook_open()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim sp As Shape
Dim ws As Worksheet
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
    For Each sp In ws.Shapes
        If sp.Name Like "story*" Then
            sp.Visible = False
        End If
    Next sp
Next ws
Worksheets("Contents").Activate
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
The code goes into a Thisworkbook module.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back