Macro to pull info from multiple excel files in multiple folders and paste into one master file - how long would this take and how much would it cost?

hdiaz36

MasterFile.xls contains a list of student names in row 1 with that student's corresponding unique student number in row 2.

Under each name there are a list of dates in ascending order according to when each student attended class.

Currently we have 8 classes that meet once a week. Each time we have class a new excel file is created and saved in that class' folder. These new excel files are saved with a name that corresponds to the date of that specific instance of our class using a "year.month.day" format. For example 2016.09.05, 2016.09.12, 2016.10.17, 2016.10.24 and so on. These files all use the same template: they all contain a drop-down selection first for the ClassName, and then according to which ClassName was selected there will be other drop-downs to select which students attended class that day. Finally, there is a hidden row that contains the unique student number for each student to avoid potential conflicts since various students across the classes might have the same name. For the sake of clarity, let's call all these excel files "ClassAttendance"

Hope you're with me so far.

Now for the macro.

I'd like to have a macro that can open (or simply look at) these ClassAttendance files, determine who attended class on what day and paste only the date of attendance in the corresponding student columns in the MasterFile. The date is simply the name of that specific ClassAttendance file; who attended class is simply the list of unique student numbers in the hidden row I mentioned above. Using these two parameters the macro should be able to find the student in the MasterFile and if that date does not already exist in the list, the macro should add the date to the list.

This might be easier to understand with some screenshots or example files - I might add those shortly, once I figure out how to do it.

What I'd like to know is approximately how long do you think it would take to code something like this and how much would it cost? I don't have the ability to do this myself, but getting this done will negate my need to do this manually, so I think it's worthwhile to pay someone to perform this task.

Ouch, I almost forgot I'm using Excel 2003

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
What I'd like to know is approximately how long do you think it would take to code something like this and how much would it cost?
Firstly, this is a free forum so you cannot offer to pay anybody on the forum and likewise nobody from the forum is allowed to offer to do it for you for a fee.
Howver, MrExcel does have a Consulting Team. You could approach them to seek a cost if interested. See #5 of the Forum Rules for a link.

This might be easier to understand with some screenshots or example files
The forum does not allow actual files to be uploaded but you can post small screenshots. My signature block below has a link.

Ouch, I almost forgot I'm using Excel 2003
Ouch, that is 14 years old - time to upgrade! :eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAT RG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back