A small adjustment needed to an existing code

palaeontology

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm currently using the following code ... it allows me to double click on a cell in the range A8:A400, which then transfers the data from that cell over to the first available cell of a different sheet in the range LeftSubject!A8:A400. If double clicked again, it undoes that action.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)Dim LS As Range, c As Range, MySwitch As Boolean

If Intersect(Target, Range("A8:A400")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Set LS = Sheets("LeftSubject").Range("A8:A400")

If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Then
        Target.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
        MySwitch = False
        For Each c In LS
            If c.Value = Target.Value Or MySwitch Then
                c.Value = c.Offset(1, 0).Value
                c.Offset(0, 4).Value = c.Offset(1, 4).Value
                MySwitch = True
            End If
            If c.Value = "" Then Exit Sub
        Next c
    Else
        Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
        Set c = LS.Offset(-1).Find("")
        c.Value = Target.Value
        c.Offset(0, 4) = Now
    End If

End Sub

However, the cells that the user might double click on (ie: range A8:A400 of the worksheet where the code is saved) I need them to be password protected, but, of course, the current code (shown above) doesn't work if those cells are protected.

Is there something I can add to the code that, in the act of double clicking, undoes the password, carries out the required action, then puts the password protection back into place ?

The password is ... Malibu00 ... if you need it for the code.

Very kind regards,

Chris

Hi Peter,

I've had so many threads, I lost track of this one, my apologies.

Yes, I have a trillion codes in this workbook, but none of them are worksheet_Change events.

When I get the pop-up message appearing, it's not saying there's an error, it's simply saying ... "The cell or chart you're trying to change is on a protected sheet. To make changes, click Unprotect Sheet in the Review tab (you might need a password)."

So, there's no debug that's highlighted. I simply click away from the pop-up message, and it disappears, but a new user might not know to do that, so I'm trying to avoid that potential confusion.

If there's no code to prevent that pop-up from appearing, that's not a problem.

Very kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
When I get the pop-up message appearing, it's not saying there's an error, it's simply saying ... "The cell or chart you're trying to change is on a protected sheet. To make changes, click Unprotect Sheet in the Review tab (you might need a password)."

So, there's no debug that's highlighted. I simply click away from the pop-up message, and it disappears, but a new user might not know to do that, so I'm trying to avoid that potential confusion.
Ahhh, my mistake. :oops:
I have a different setting to you in my Excel Options so I wasn't getting that pop-up - but I should have known to include an extra line of code. Add this blue one in where shown.

Rich (BB code):
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A8:A400")) Is Nothing Then
  Cancel = True
  ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="Malibu00"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not at all. I needed to improve my explanation.

Kindest regards from Brisbane to Macksville,

Chris

Upvote 0
OK, I'm having a new issue with the code.

Here's the current code ...

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim wsLS As Worksheet
  Dim NextCell As Range, Found As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A8:A400")) Is Nothing Then
  Cancel = True
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="Malibu00"
    Set wsLS = Sheets("LeftSubject")
    wsLS.Unprotect Password:="Malibu00"
    If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Then
      Target.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
      Set Found = wsLS.Columns("A").Find(What:=Target.Value, LookAt:=xlWhole)
      If Not Found Is Nothing Then Found.Resize(, 5).Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Else
      Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
      Set NextCell = wsLS.Cells(wsLS.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1)
      NextCell.Value = Target.Value
      NextCell.Offset(0, 4) = Now
    End If
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="Malibu00"
    wsLS.Protect Password:="Malibu00"
  End If
End Sub

It's doing everything brilliantly, however, when I double click a cell that is currently already highlighted red (because that student's data has previously been moved over to the sheet 'LeftSubject') .... ie: I'm trying to remove that value from it's location in 'LeftSubject' ... all the formulae I have in LeftSubject!F8:NZ400, that feed from the corresponding cell value in LeftSubject!A8:A400, seem to get affected.

For example, if I double click an existing red cell somewhere in Entry!A8:A400, that corresponding entry is removed from it's location somewhere in LeftSubject!A8:A400 ... but .... the formula in every cell in the range LeftSubject!F8:NZ8 changes from this ...

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(Entry!$A$8:$NY$400,MATCH($A8,Entry!$A$8:$A$400,0),COLUMN()-1)="","",INDEX(Entry!$A$8:$NY$400,MATCH($A8,Entry!$A$8:$A$400,0),COLUMN()-1)),"")

to

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(Entry!$A$8:$NY$400,MATCH(#REF ,Entry!$A$8:$A$400,0),COLUMN()-1)="","",INDEX(Entry!$A$8:$NY$400,MATCH(#REF ,Entry!$A$8:$A$400,0),COLUMN()-1)),"")

the next row down (row 9) then takes on the formula that used to be in row 8 (the one shown above).

If I double click a second red cell from Entry!A8:A400, the formula in row 9 then changes to a formula with #REF (like the one above), and row 10 then takes on the formula that used to be originally in row 8.

Is there something in the current code that's causing the formula in LeftSubject!F8:NZ400 to lose reference like that ?

It's not happening to the formulae I have in LeftSubject!B8:E400. They seem to be unaffected.

Kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0
I think this is the first we have heard of formulas (or anything) to the right of column E in LeftSubject. :)

Try making this cahnge and see how it goes.

Rich (BB code):
<del>If Not Found Is Nothing Then Found.Resize(, 5).Delete Shift:=xlUp</del>
If Not Found Is Nothing Then Found.Offset(1).Resize(400, 5).Copy Destination:=Found

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That did the trick ... thankyou, again, so much Peter.

Very kindest regards,

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back