IF Function

alexb77

Hey guys,

Need a bit of help putting together an IF Function.

I have multiple entries which I want to cross reference for differences. For the time being, I want to compare 2 entries for difference or to see whether they match.

There needs to be 2 parts to this IF formula which I'm having trouble putting together. A2 and A3 will be comparing the entry number, therefore if A2 and A3 match, it needs to be marked as MATCH, whereas if they are A2 doesn't match A3 then it needs to be marked as FALSE.

However, there needs to be a second part to say that if A2 and A3 match then it will compare B2 and B3 to see if there is a MATCH or be marked as FALSE. Whereas, if A2 and A3 do not match at all then regardless of B2 and B3 matching then it will be marked as FALSE.

I have gotten to the following however, it does not take the above principle into consideration.

=IF(AND(B2="",B3=""),"MATCH", IF(A2<>A3,FALSE,IF(AND(OR(B2="",B3="",B2=B3),B2&B3<>""),"MATCH",FALSE)))

Any help would go a long way.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
So, you only want to return "MATCH" in A2 and A3 match, and B2 and B3 match? Is that correct?

If so, then just use:
Code:
=IF(AND(A2=A3,B2=B3),"MATCH",FALSE)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back