Risk formatting on a single Cell

Chris Waller

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I am using Excel 2010 and I would like to be able to colour a cell in relation to the risk status i.e. red, red/amber, amber/green, green and the shades in between each. I do not want to put any text in the cells, I would just like a way of being able to change the colour of the cell using something like a slider or any other way, whichever is easier and does the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the result necessitated using VBA, I would like to be spoon fed as I am not very good with VBA. TIA

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I'm not sure about Excel 2010, but this can easily be done in the up-to-date version of Excel by using Conditional Formatting and a Scroll Bar.

It sounds like you want a nearly continuous gradation of colours from red to green. I chose 10 steps to correspond to your risk statuses.

In cell A1 I put a number between 1 and 10, like 7. Go to Conditional Formatting and create a New rule. Format cells based on their values. Format style 3-colour scale. Select Type number for Minimum, Midpoint and Maximum. Enter 1 for Minimum, 5 for Midpoint and 10 for Maximum and select red, amber, green, respectively. Select Ok all the way out. Change the number in A1 to see the fill-colour of A1 change.

Select Developer, Insert and under Form Control select Scroll Bar (Form Control). Draw the scroll bar horizontally next to cell A1. Right-click, Format control, Minimum 1, Maximum 10, Increment 1, Page 1, Cell link click on cell A1. Ok.

To hide the number in A1, select A1, right-click , Format Cells, Number, Category, Custom, and type three semicolons in the Type box ;;; and then Ok.

Presto! Adjust the slider to alter the number in A1 (which is now hidden) and the fill-colour of A1 will go in 10 steps from red through amber to green.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DRSteele,

That is brilliant. Thanks so very much for the help. You have been a lifesaver. Thanks again.

Chris

Upvote 0
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you.

DRSteele,

Thanks for your prompt response and it will work, however, before I use your conditional formatting, I have just one question. That is, is it possible to do something similar on an empty cell? The reason I ask, is because If someone wants to put some text in the cell how would I get this to work as in your suggestion there has to be a number in the cell

TIA Chris

Upvote 0
You stated "I do not want to put any text in the cells." But now you do. Ok, the bad news is that this cannot be done using Colour Scales. What you'll have to do is create a set of CndFrmt rules that cover all the colour gradations you wish to have. So if you want 10 colours you'll need to create 9 rules (leaving the formatting of the cell to be one default colour at the end of the scales, like green). You can create those rules that refer to other cells by completing Use a formula to determine which cells to format. The cell your Rules refer to can be something like B1, on top of which you can put the scroll bar that links to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back