Conditional Production List

ZJones3205

Some help here would be much appreciated in figuring out how to do this, as I feel it should be quite possible.

I would like to create auto-populating lists of "To-Do's" based off of risk assessment levels, creating a task list that is ultimately sorted by likelihood. For example. I created a risk assessment table (likelihood vs. consequence) and rated things 1-10, 10 being most likely/most costly. I indexed this table so I can answer a fixed set of questions I am examining for each potential project to take on.

I would like the following to happen when filling out the risk assessment... Each question deemed 8 or higher on likelihood would fall into a "definite" list, each item from 4-7 fall into a " likely" list, 2-3 is the "I hope this doesn't happen" list, and 0-1 is the "don't do" list.

Here is the real life context to provide fuller understanding. I approach an antique instrument to consider restoring. I fill out a checklist of potential to-do's by assessing each part and area, assigning each task a likelihood, and the financial consequence assuming the work were to happen. By filling out this risk assessment, I have simultaneously built my to-do checklist sorted by likelihood ranges. This gives immediate feedback on scope of job, basic risk assessment, and a full production list for my service team to immediately examine and begin working on. Obviously, this will also tell me a ballpark idea of whether to accept a restoration job, provide a relatively accurate quote, or decline services.

Any suggestions in how to accomplish my wants with this many moving parts? Any recommendations to simplify w/o sacrificing depth of data would certainly be welcome.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Maybe a set up like this would be a start.

Howard

Excel 2012
ABCDE
10don'tRisk levelLikelihood
22hope7likely
34likely
48definite
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2=VLOOKUP(D2,A1:B4,2,1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, I have not considered VLOOKUP in that way before. I'll consider it, but already have the risk table done using Index(,(Match(),Match()). However, that only solves the first part of what I am looking for here. Overall, I need something that can display tasks in condensed form into a sorted list, manually. I am thinking of some way to combine IF plus OR and MATCH to accomplish this? Maybe I just filter the whole thing when it is filled out, and organize by risk level?

Example below shows different 'risk levels' and an accompanying task. It is trying to separate the tasks into bite sized form that I am really trying to accomplish here.

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
A
B
C
D
Cost ImpactLikelihoodRisk LevelTask
2​
7​
14​
Refinish rest rail
8​
9​
72​
Duplicate pinblock
7​
5​
35​
Re-pin bridge
3​
9​
27​
Re-bush wippen flanges
Sheet: Basic Risk Assessment

Upvote 0
I don't have any suggestions beyond the Vlookup to offer for your risk levels/task portion.

Sorry.

Howard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back