tinferns

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
Need your help in obtaining the last updated cell in excel. Here I am grading salesman over 3 - 7 weeks (only 3 weeks shown here). Can we work out a formula that will give me result of the last updated week. I have given the expected answer. Please advise if you want me to attach an excel sheet example. Could not trace a way to attach here. I prefer a formula instead of a VBA code.

<colgroup><col><col><col span="22"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Week 1Week 2Week 3Current Status
Sales Man. Comments .Frequent
Absenteeism
Comm.
Skill
Attrition
probability
Behavioral
Concerns
Training
[Scalability]
Frequent
Absenteeism
Comm.
Skill
Attrition
probability
Behavioral
Concerns
Training
[Scalability]
Frequent
Absenteeism
Comm.
Skill
Attrition
probability
Behavioral
Concerns
Training
[Scalability]
Frequent
Absenteeism
Comm.
Skill
Attrition
probability
Behavioral
Concerns
Training
[Scalability]
NameFree textGRAGGAARAGRGAGG
Expected Answer: should be last update cell-:
G = Green RGAGG
A = Amber
R = Red

await your reply..

<colgroup><col><col><col span="22"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Code:
=INDEX($C$4:$P$4,LARGE(COLUMN($C$4:$P$4)-2,LARGE({5,4,3,2,1},COLUMNS($C$4:C4))))

Paste the code in the first cell & drag to the next four , Use Ctrl Shift Enter

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply SyedUsman.. However, it is not fully functional. For eg, if I go back in time like when I only update week1 score then the result is 0. Similarly when I update Week2 results, it still shows 0. Only when I update Week 3 reults, then it gives me the result. I have to update Week 1 - Week 7 and I want the formula to show final result auto updated every week.. Please update formula and advise. Thanks a million in advance.

Upvote 0
Code:
=index($c$4:$w$4,large(column($c$4:$w$4)-2,large({6,5,4,3,2},columns($c$4:c4))))

use with cse

i believe you are entering a column while adding the data & you will enter the column at column w thereby extending the range in the formula

Upvote 0
See if this does what you want. This is an array formula so should be entered without the {} but confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter. If confirmed correctly, Excel will insert the {}. The formula can then be copied across and down.

Excel Workbook
CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW
2Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]
3GRAGGAARAGRGAGGRGAGG
4GRAGGAARAGAARAG
Last

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a million Peter... this formula seems to work fine.. just two questions

1) What does "Z" stand for ?
2) Guess I have to paste the formula in Column S. And then drag it ..

Please lemme know. Thanks...

See if this does what you want. This is an array formula so should be entered without the {} but confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter. If confirmed correctly, Excel will insert the {}. The formula can then be copied across and down.

Last

CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW
2Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability] Frequent AbsenteeismComm. SkillAttrition probabilityBehavioral ConcernsTraining [Scalability]
3GRAGGAARAGRGAGG RGAGG
4GRAGGAARAG AARAG

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:84px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:75px;"><col style="width:84px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:75px;"><col style="width:84px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:75px;"><col style="width:92px;"><col style="width:84px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:66px;"><col style="width:75px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
S3{=LOOKUP("Z",IF($C$2:$Q$2=S$2,$C3:$Q3))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Formula Array:
Produce enclosing
{ } by entering
formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Hi SyedUsman.. Thanks for your reply. However I have failed in using it. Peter has given a suggestion, which seems to work fine. Thanks a million for your effort and suggestions.. Have a nice day mate.. Cheers...

Code:
=index($c$4:$w$4,large(column($c$4:$w$4)-2,large({6,5,4,3,2},columns($c$4:c4))))

use with cse

i believe you are entering a column while adding the data & you will enter the column at column w thereby extending the range in the formula

Upvote 0
Thanks a million Peter... this formula seems to work fine..
Good news. :)

just two questions

1) What does "Z" stand for ?
2) Guess I have to paste the formula in Column S. And then drag it ..
1) "Z" is just the letter "Z". All your letters are lower in the alphabet than "Z" so when the LOOKUP cannot find a "Z" it returns the last letter found (with the correct heading) in the row.

2) Yes, as my previous post said: Drag it across and down.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter for that quick reply, appreciate.....

I modified the formula only to work if that salesman is ACTIVE, however it gives me an error #VALUE ! ... can you please correct me

{=IF(B3,"active",LOOKUP("Z",IF($C$2:$V$2=Y$2,$C3:$V3),""))}

Thank you in advance...

Good news. :)

1) "Z" is just the letter "Z". All your letters are lower in the alphabet than "Z" so when the LOOKUP cannot find a "Z" it returns the last letter found (with the correct heading) in the row.

2) Yes, as my previous post said: Drag it across and down.

Upvote 0
I modified the formula only to work if that salesman is ACTIVE, however it gives me an error #VALUE ! ... can you please correct me

{=IF(B3,"active",LOOKUP("Z",IF($C$2:$V$2=Y$2,$C3:$V3),""))}
You are on the right track but there are 3 issues
1. You need a $ sign in from of B3 to lock that to column B when you drag across.
2. You have a comma where you should have an = sign
3. You have the ,"" near the end in the wrong place

Try
{=IF($B3="Active",LOOKUP("Z",IF($C$2:$V$2=Y$2,$C3:$V3)),"")}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back