Cell Format breaking Find method

MrKowz

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This isn't a particular issue I need to solve, but moreso something I'm trying to research and not finding much on a handful of Google searches.

Background - I recently helped a user debug an issue with some code and tracked it down to the number formatting of some cells. The user had the "Accounting" number format chosen for cells which contained string data ("Yes"/"No"). What I've found is that neither the VBA Find method (set rng = .find(value, lookin:=xlvalues, lookat:=xlwhole)) or using CTRL+F is able to find the "Yes" which has that format chosen.

Upon further testing, I've been able to replicate the issue and also extend it to any formatting which includes errant spaces before/after the @. For example, the formats " @" and "@ " both yielded the same results - the find method and ctrl+f couldn't find the values.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before and if this is just an accepted bug or anything. It really struck me as bizzare since I was always under the impression that cell values were not impacted in any way by cell formatting.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I can't reproduce that using ctrl+F in Excel 2010. Does your Find & Replace dialog box have the format set to "No Format Set"?

Upvote 0
This worked for me

Code:
Sub atest()
    Dim rng As Range, vValue As Variant

vValue = Range("B1").Value[COLOR=#ff0000]2[/COLOR]
    Set rng = Columns(1).Find(vValue, LookAt:=[COLOR=#ff0000]xlWhole[/COLOR], LookIn:=[COLOR=#ff0000]xlFormulas[/COLOR], MatchCase:=False)
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then MsgBox rng.Row
End Sub

M.

Upvote 0
I can't reproduce that using ctrl+F in Excel 2010. Does your Find & Replace dialog box have the format set to "No Format Set"?

Joe

Try Ctrl+F
Search Yes and in options: xlWhole
and you see what happens

M.

Upvote 0
In the Find options set the number format to Accounting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Joe

Try Ctrl+F
Search Yes and in options: xlWhole
and you see what happens

M.
Marcelo, works ok for me if I check "Entire cell contents" and search for "yes" in cells with an Accounting format, but stumbles on " @" or " @ " if the search is for "@" as I would expect it to do since the " @" and " @ " require "Entire cell contents" to be unchecked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Marcelo, works ok for me if I check "Entire cell contents" and search for "yes" in cells with an Accounting format

It worked for me only with
Entire cell contents
LookIn:Formulas

Didn't work at all with
Entire cell contents
LookIn:Values

M

Upvote 0
Further to my post #6 :
Code:
Sub atest()
    Dim rng As Range, vValue As Variant

vValue = Range("B1").Value2
    Application.FindFormat.NumberFormat = _
        "_(* #,##0.00_);_(* (#,##0.00);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"
    Set rng = Columns(1).Find(vValue, LookAt:=xlWhole, LookIn:=xlFormulas, MatchCase:=False)
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then MsgBox rng.Row
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks all - good to know the workarounds for this in case I run into the problem in the future. Still so strange that the value is not recognized simply because the number format of it has changed...

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back