Summary stats on a data table - counting based on criteria on both rows and columns

Marmot329

Hello All,

I'm a bit stumped on how to solve a particular data problem and was hoping for a nod in the right direction.

I have a table, which along the top going across columns has some unique codes in row 1, and some categories attached to those codes in row 2, which are populated using a vlookup. The number of rules/columns across the top varies, although I can fix the formula to go to from A-Z. Each unique code can have the same category attached to it as another code in row 2.

I have dates going down the table in column A.

Within the table, I have some numbers which are populated using countifs based on the code in row 1 and the date in column A. Essentially, they are counting the number of times a warning against a particular code is flagged in a separate data sheet in a given month.

I need to write a formula, that counts if there has been any 'non-zero' entries in the data table, associated with a particular category, between two dates.

For example:

I want to count the number of rules that have been broken relating to the 'IMA' category, between 31/01/2016 and 29/02/2016:

So in the above, there are two rules with the category 'IMA' in row 2. Between the dates of Jan-Feb 2016 (column A), both of these rules had non-zero entries (highlighted yellow). So I want to count '2' - i.e. two rules were flagged during the period under review (as compared to 3, as the same rule flagged in consecutive months, but i only want to count the rules that have been broken, not the number of times the same rule has been broken).

Can anyone help? I had initially thought combining index match with countif would do the job, but I don't think i'm anywhere near close with that option.

Many thanks,
Steph

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back