Formatting problems, search problems, the works.

Cornelius Morris

I have just taken over a spreadsheet previously managed by a colleague. It's very simple--just a database with columns (last name, first name, address, etc.) No functions, no formula.

It was saved in Excel 97 as recently as last month. I have managed to clean up lots of formatting, but I keep having problems with some things.

When I try a sort function (and I have checked the "My data has headers" (because I put them there), and choose, for example, "Last name" (the first column" I keep getting the error message "This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized". I have gone through and re-sized everything (that I can see); it was so messy that some cells were two spaces deep.

I have tried the global command from the Toolbar, and everything looks right. Everything cell has the same height (one line).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cornelius

Addendum: I just figured it out. Pretty simple: "Clear Formats" in the Toolbar cleaned out all the voodoo and junk from before.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hi Cornelius Morris - Good job figuring it out. I have often found that merged cells on a spreadsheet are "Evil" and should be avoided if possible. I was going to suggest unmerging all cells, but that was probably accomplished by the "Clear Formats" command. Happy excelling.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back