Formatting problems, search problems, the works.

Thread: Formatting problems, search problems, the works.
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Formatting problems, search problems, the works.

I have just taken over a spreadsheet previously managed by a colleague. It's very simple--just a database with columns (last name, first name, address, etc.) No functions, no formula.

It was saved in Excel 97 as recently as last month. I have managed to clean up lots of formatting, but I keep having problems with some things.

When I try a sort function (and I have checked the "My data has headers" (because I put them there), and choose, for example, "Last name" (the first column" I keep getting the error message "This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized". I have gone through and re-sized everything (that I can see); it was so messy that some cells were two spaces deep.

I have tried the global command from the Toolbar, and everything looks right. Everything cell has the same height (one line).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Cornelius

Addendum: I just figured it out. Pretty simple: "Clear Formats" in the Toolbar cleaned out all the voodoo and junk from before.
    Last edited by Cornelius Morris; Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:42 AM.

Board Regular
    Denver, Colorado - XFD1048576 - MORE Stuff here near the end. And what if you add even more stuff a
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Formatting problems, search problems, the works.

Hi Cornelius Morris - Good job figuring it out. I have often found that merged cells on a spreadsheet are "Evil" and should be avoided if possible. I was going to suggest unmerging all cells, but that was probably accomplished by the "Clear Formats" command. Happy excelling.
    Happy Excelling ,

goesr

To enter code in your post use the format below. Click the link for more detail.
    [CODE] ... Your Code Here ... [/CODE]

Some videos you may like

User Tag List