Countif

bill351

Board Regular
Hi Guys

I am trying to equate the working hours in a roster to check for budget anomalies and in a row for the fortnight I have the days worked (0730-1930) and the rostered days off (R/O) now the formula I am trying to get to work is =COUNTIF(D79:R79,"*")-COUNTIF(D79:R79,"R/O") and from this I get the number of days on which is fine but I would like that to calculate to hours by multiplying the number of days on by 12 but I dont know where to add it in to the above formula. The only constants are the R/O and that days are 12hrs but the times are different. I could remove the R/O and just have =COUNTIF(D79:R79,"*")*12 and that gives the hours but changes the appearance of the roster which I am trying to avoid. Any Idea??

Cheer Bill from Oz

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi Guys

I am trying to equate the working hours in a roster to check for budget anomalies and in a row for the fortnight I have the days worked (0730-1930) and the rostered days off (R/O) now the formula I am trying to get to work is =COUNTIF(D79:R79,"*")-COUNTIF(D79:R79,"R/O") and from this I get the number of days on which is fine but I would like that to calculate to hours by multiplying the number of days on by 12 but I dont know where to add it in to the above formula. The only constants are the R/O and that days are 12hrs but the times are different. I could remove the R/O and just have =COUNTIF(D79:R79,"*")*12 and that gives the hours but changes the appearance of the roster which I am trying to avoid. Any Idea??

Cheer Bill from Oz
Hi Bill.
You have me a little confused.
It mainly surrounds this formula: =COUNTIF(D79:R79,"*")-COUNTIF(D79:R79,"R/O")
What is the significance of the "*"?

It seems to me with my playing around that "*" is not liked. It would seem that something alphanumeric would be a better choice. Then you can probably move on. Please share your thoughts.

Upvote 0
Hi BrianJN1

The significance of the "*" is because the input to the cells for the shift times are varied so a specific Countif cant be done hence the use of the wildcard. So with that formula I get the count of all the cells that dont have R/O which give me the number but not the hours and because others use this sheet I cant make to many visual changes from the current format.

Upvote 0
Apologies Bill. Last night when I was working this I had actually arrived at a means that might satisfy you but I doubted it as the formula =countif(D79:R79,"*") counted all "*" as well as "R/O" in the row; I didn't understand the "wildcard". Try this formula: =(COUNTIF(D79:R79,"*")-COUNTIF(D79:R79,"r/o"))*12 I think this is what you seek.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back