How to set default text box properties (object positioning)

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I almost always want text boxes to keep their size and location regardless of what happens with the surrounding cells. So I end up manually right-clicking the border, selecting Size and Properties, clicking Properties, and clicking Don't move or size with cells.

This page says that I can set the default properties by right-clicking the border and selecting Set as Default Text Box.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...text-box-9eae1b82-f2b8-44d2-9c54-b06d28e581ce

This doesn't work on my system.

Is there a way I can get new text boxes to have this setting?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi JenniferMurphy - Although this isn't exactly what you asked, you might think of trying something like the simple code below which selects all objects and makes them FreeFloating. Hope this helps get things started.

Code:
Sub JenniferMurphy_FreeFloatingObjects()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.SelectAll
    Selection.Placement = xlFreeFloating
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi JenniferMurphy - Although this isn't exactly what you asked, you might think of trying something like the simple code below which selects all objects and makes them FreeFloating. Hope this helps get things started.

Code:
Sub JenniferMurphy_FreeFloatingObjects()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.SelectAll
    Selection.Placement = xlFreeFloating
End Sub

Interesting. A couple of questions:

What shapes does this affect other than text boxes?

How to I invoke it? Do I assign it to a keyboard shortcut and run it manually on each sheet? Do I set up so it runs when each sheet is activated? (I'm not sure how to do that.)

I take it that there is no way to set the default so that all new text boxes have this setting.

Upvote 0
Hi JenniferMurphy - This macro will affect ALL SHAPES on the Active Sheet. I can be invoked the same way any macro is run and could be assigned to a keyboard shortcut or even made to run automatically when a spreadsheet is opened.

I do not know any way to set the Default for Text Boxes as you requested, that is why I suggested possibly a work around. I would be glad to help you if you need some assistance in making the macro work. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Jennifer

When you set a default textbox it's only default formatting, e.g. fill colour, font etc, that are set, not a property like Don't move or size with cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back